Auxiliary Power Wire Retrieval

Reaction score
For whatever reason, sooner or later we almost all need to get out the auxiliary power wire. It seems that everyone opens the Phantom up to get to it. I just wanted to post this as a sort of FYI; you can fish the wire out easily in a couple of seconds with just a pair of tweezers, or, if you lack elegance like I do, a small screwdriver. Hopefully this post can save somebody the aggravation of opening his quad! :D

The problem, as I experienced it, is that the factory pushes the aux wire just into the slot in the rubber grommet in the exit/access hole just inside the front leg so it is not protruding. I knew it was there but it looked as though anything other than needle-like tweezers were MUCH more likely to push it up inside and out of the grommet slot and then it would be loose inside the body....meaning I would have to pop the body anyway. I was not going to go blindly fishing around inside trying to hook something to pull out. Never having seen the aux wire....and wanting to get things right, electrically, I decided I needed to get familiar with what was inside.

There isn't a whole lot of stuff you might be connecting to the aux line that isn't going to eventually require opening it up anyway...plugging in to the Naza controller, etc.. With the right long hex tool ( the ideal tool would be about 6 inches long with a round wheel as the handle end so it could be spun with your fingers. If I found a source of long hex wire I would make one....or buy one if available), it goes pretty quickly. I have a laundry list of things to do next time I pop the hood.

There are (supposed to be) TWO aux power lines....as I understand it. They are, for the newbie, joined, red-orange and grey. They are also quite light wire and suspect by many as inadequate for much amperage. There have been a couple of highly publicized melt-downs...probably more from a faulty gimbal than from normal operation. Actually, in case of a short, a heavier, "safer" wire might have caused much more damage internally in the guts of the Ph....the light wire might act as a fuse of sorts??

I soldered a light, female 2 wire connector from the hobby store to the aux wire....male end to the Tarot....so it easily disconnects. Any connecting pair, such as JST connector set would, I understand, work. You could just power off the battery "balancing" plug (? type of connector) and not use the AUX line at all, and not need to pop the hood.

I'm going to go with the stock aux wire(s) for my tarot gimbal when it arrives....as a starting point.

Gnapoleon said:
Then you need to add a JST connector?
It depends on what you're using it for. I'm using it to power a Fat Shark FPV transmitter, so I attached a 3S balance plug.

The Don said:
Gnapoleon said:
Then you need to add a JST connector?
It depends on what you're using it for. I'm using it to power a Fat Shark FPV transmitter, so I attached a 3S balance plug.

I would as well. What's the wiring on a 3S? What's the connector called, where did you buy it?

Gnapoleon said:
I would as well. What's the wiring on a 3S? What's the connector called, where did you buy it?
I just bought a 3S extension cable at my local hobby shop. I cut it at the proper length and soldered it to my auxiliary power cable. There are 4 pins on the 3S plug, but you only need two. I used the outer two. I don't recall which is which right now. I want to say that the rightmost pin is positive and the leftmost negative if the plug is facing away from you.

I've been using mini terminal strip till finding a mini panel mount to in casing.
At Maplins other day I spot 9v PP3 connection with a fly lead so it will stick to side of unit and another for the fpv which sit together - sorted. Also got a toggle switch to put inline to isolate it £3.50 tops.
Also I will be able to leave tx off till Phantom ready for takeoff saving power, click on same time at record on gopro.

I just made a dual JST connecter and power my gimbal and 5.8ghz FPV transmitter off that wire. It seems to work just fine...so far.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik