Autopilot 3.0 Beta - Waypoint Mode review and demo

Reaction score
The Autopilot 3.0 beta with waypoint mode is looking real good (as of Build 61->64). The following are my observations from testing it for the first time. I only tested the basic 17 pt waypoint patrol mode using three different camera focus triggers. Nothing fancy, but demonstrates the possibilities for endless cinematic scripting.

Pros
- Easy to setup basic "safe" waypoint mission from default settings. Simply click a point or draw a path on the map.
- Flight plan mission can be setup in advance / offline. It can be saved to iOS device or uploaded and sync'd to AFL online site and transferred to another iOS device.
- Easy to customize each waypoint for altitude, speed, focus trigger, etc
- Path inspector to view flight characteristics at any point in the mission. Helpful for manually visualizing the gimbal or aircraft position. Would be nice if this had a “play flight” function. (Edit: flight preview added in build64)
- Camera focus triggers seems to be the best feature. You can set and change the camera gimbal focus anywhere within the mission. You can even mix modes and create a follow-me waypoint as demonstrated in one of the videos below
- Screen recorder function built into app

Cons
- Loss of RC comms will trigger a RTH. This is apparently per design based on needs of target consumer (cinematic scripting), but under evaluation for “other mission type” needs
- screen can get cluttered with all the icons. There are some options in the settings menu to hide
- Custom Flight controller runs on iOS device vs. phantom (with DJI GO). This seems to really load the iOS device. Short testing showed loss of telemetry most likely due to either overheating or overutilization due with multiple apps open and not in airplane mode. I used an iPad Mini4 cellular.
***Offline setup of 17pt Waypoint ‘Patrol’ mission w/ 3 focus triggers
Offline setup of 17pt Waypoint ‘Patrol’ mission w/ 3 focus triggers

***Flight screen recording and camera view of 17pt Waypoint ‘Patrol’ mission
Flight screen recording and camera view of 17pt Waypoint ‘Patrol’ mission

***Flight #2 of same mission, but slower and w/ 3rd focus trigger as follow-me operator
Flight #2 of same mission, but slower and w/ 3rd focus trigger as follow-me operator

***Screen recording of misc waypoint adjustments
Screen recording of misc waypoint adjustments

Last edited:
Reactions: lenmcgilvary
Nice job on testing. I have been using this for a couple months and so far it seems the best for the phantom 3 for iOS. Although DJI or anyone else has yet to come up with a equivalent to the original Mission Planner (Australian version) I use for Walkera 350 pros. Never have any issues with missions, altitudes, or etc.

Reactions: 2nd2non
Here are two videos with same flight path but different focus modes. First one had fixed focus points, second has interpolated (previous/next) focus points. You can see how interpolated can give you lengthy cinematic shots if planned correctly.

Basic Waypoint mode over Palm Springs golf course

Interpolated focus triggers in Waypoint mode over Palm Springs golf course

How were you able to fly over a golf course, with no one there during the daylight?

I am curious because I want to help a company map courses and wondered when we could fly without golfers,on course, I play golf and whenever its light out the holes are full of people.

How were you able to fly over a golf course, with no one there during the daylight?

I am curious because I want to help a company map courses and wondered when we could fly without golfers,on course, I play golf and whenever its light out the holes are full of people.
Well there were a few people out early. But it was quite cool for Palm Springs, so not many. I agree, this is a rare sight. In fact today it was warmer and many more out.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj