Autonomy

Reaction score
Anyone have anything to say about the autonomous functions of the Phantom 2?

Im looking for info on how I can get a follow me, a way point (ground station), and achieve proper framing while doing so.

You can use the DJI Ground station - but that only provides the basic way point/altitude navigation for pre-planned flights.
AFAIK there is no "follow" me function for the Phantoms... It would need something to follow for a start!

The Ground Station provides a direction of the quad only.. it does not have any control over the gimbal or camera control.

So how do you angle the gimbal so it stays a certain level

TeamYankee said:
You can use the DJI Ground station - but that only provides the basic way point/altitude navigation for pre-planned flights.
AFAIK there is no "follow" me function for the Phantoms... It would need something to follow for a start!

The Ground Station provides a direction of the quad only.. it does not have any control over the gimbal or camera control.

You still have control of the gimbal when using Ground Station.

So how do you angle the gimbal so it stays a certain level

Depends on which controller you have. It you are flying with the new controller, the wheel (My personal favorite!) and if not, the app.

I'm assuming you are wanting the drone to follow you and keep a certain frame-up. That is a pretty big task and don't think the Phantom has that ability.

I can say that if you buy the Phantom 2 and spend the $199 to buy the data link (ground station) hardeare it's a very powerful tool. The ability to send a drone to a waypoint(s) and choose speed, altitude, heading, and hover time is impressive. As for "follow me" capability you're out of luck. Make some friends. ;)

Make some friends.

Just make sure you trust them with flying your craft!

LOL :lol:

If there was a follow me function.. there would be Phantoms with animal costumes.

ThePhantom said:
If there was a follow me function.. there would be Phantoms with animal costumes.

Lol.

Having it follow you can be done, having it follow and looking at you is something else.
There is currently 2 ways coms between your fpv device and the phantom.

I have used dynamic home point and IOC Home lock flying to follow me. Just pull the stick back and keep it 10m away from the fpv device. DJI has set to 2 second pings and it works intermittently. If DJI made the ping/update faster it believe it work great for chase.

Someone posted on here a few months ago that they were working on a video tracking system linked to the controller, so that it could track any object and hold it in frame. Not seen any updates though. They had it working on the ground with just a camera and thought it would be easy to get it flying.

Mako79 said:
ThePhantom said:

Lol.

Having it follow you can be done, having it follow and looking at you is something else.
There is currently 2 ways coms between your fpv device and the phantom.

I have used dynamic home point and IOC Home lock flying to follow me. Just pull the stick back and keep it 10m away from the fpv device. DJI has set to 2 second pings and it works intermittently. If DJI made the ping/update faster it believe it work great for chase.

I like how this method means the Phantom is literally chasing you. You got demons bro

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20