Automatic recovery from propeller loss (video)

Reaction score
Perhaps this technology will make it into the next Phantom…

http://video.techbriefs.com/video/Autom ... gorithm-Al

Overview:

If a quadrocopter loses a propeller, it can no longer control its flight with the normal control software, and may crash in a public area. Researchers at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich (ETH Zurich) have now developed a failsafe technology that makes quadrocopters safer and may thus pave the way for these vehicles to be used in safety-critical applications.

Reactions: Pumpfixer
A similar control mode is available in the DJI controllers when using 6 or 8 motors.

Doing that with a quad as heavily loaded as the Phantom platform will be more of a challenge. To get the body spinning will take longer and you'll see a much larger loss of altitude before control is regained.

That is why for safety critical applications you'll want a minimum of 6 motors and ideally 8.

Although I prefer the term "rotor" over propeller, this is a good system, that might eliminate or greatly reduces damage.

Thanks for sharing!

And when I roll my own, I hope for 8 rotors.

LandYachtMedia said:
A similar control mode is available in the DJI controllers when using 6 or 8 motors.

Doing that with a quad as heavily loaded as the Phantom platform will be more of a challenge. To get the body spinning will take longer and you'll see a much larger loss of altitude before control is regained.

That is why for safety critical applications you'll want a minimum of 6 motors and ideally 8.
My 3DR hex will land safely after losing one prop. It happened to me, but the hex is using 12-inch CF props and carrying more load than the Phantom. I haven't heard of any Phantom crashes from a lost prop or motor - usually battery exhaustion.

Bad motor resulting in prop spin off right here! Fell like a tumbling rock. The most "intelligent" landing protocol - straight down ;)

You're right... it would be great to have this in all future quads but for something like the Phantom you would need a huge power increase at the time of failure and the inertia involved in 'getting it spinning' would be enormous.

The technology/algorithms for this have been around for ages (even that video was posted over a year ago) but as yet haven't made it into mainstream production.

Redundancy was one of the main reasons I elected to go the Hexacopter route. I have also added a two bus power distribution system into my hex rather than a standard parallel connector so that should one of the lipo packs fail or a solder joint or battery connector break or come loose I will still be able to fly and maintain full voltage until I can safely land (albeit with reduced mah capacity).

Yes... I'm **** about safety with a 3.5 kilo flying chainsaw in the air :lol:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic