Auto takeoff Flyaway!!!

Reaction score
Upgraded to a P3Pro from a P1 this week. Updated firmware on Phantom, camera, and remote, calibrated compass, and made a very uneventful first flight. A few hours later, same location, began a second flight using "auto takeoff",and the craft rose a few feet, then began flying circles on its own. I was able to fly it up to avoid trees, but the circling continued at speeds up to about 25mph according to the flight data, with no control input from me whatsoever. RTH and auto-land commands went unheeded. After about 3 minutes, I was unable even to maintain altitude and the circles began to tighten, and the Phantom crashed into a tree then fell to the ground.

These machines are built tough because there is only superficial damage apparent. I checked the IMU calibration post-crash, and though it checked OK, I did another calibration. This is my first post on this forum, and I'm hopeful the members here might shed some light on what could have caused this major malfunction and what I should do in order to avoid a repeat of this potentially disastrous scenario.

image.jpg

welcome to the "firmware update"

In before certain members come along to tell you that you're just too stupid to own a P3...

(I am not one of them...I'm just like you, one who got screwed by the update too...)

Sorry to see that...

Did you calibrate your compass right where your home point is set in that screenshot?

If so I suspect the presence of the huge metal roof screwed you over. You said you had an uneventful first flight in the same location but this is the only explanation I can give

Also I must say....pretty bold of you to fly right next to the water on your first flight. My first 10 flights were in a huge open field :p

Reactions: Ross and Turdle
Try calibrating the remote control...................... both sticks and gimbal wheel.

Snerd really the gimbal? Sorry to hear man it looks like a compass issue. I'm almost certain.

Snerd really the gimbal? Sorry to hear man it looks like a compass issue. I'm almost certain.
I mentioned the gimbal wheel only because when calibrating the RC it needs to be done too. But yes, a lot of flyers have yet to calibrate the RC, it seems.

Upgraded to a P3Pro from a P1 this week. Updated firmware on Phantom, camera, and remote, calibrated compass, and made a very uneventful first flight. A few hours later, same location, began a second flight using "auto takeoff",and the craft rose a few feet, then began flying circles on its own. I was able to fly it up to avoid trees, but the circling continued at speeds up to about 25mph according to the flight data, with no control input from me whatsoever. RTH and auto-land commands went unheeded. After about 3 minutes, I was unable even to maintain altitude and the circles began to tighten, and the Phantom crashed into a tree then fell to the ground.

These machines are built tough because there is only superficial damage apparent. I checked the IMU calibration post-crash, and though it checked OK, I did another calibration. This is my first post on this forum, and I'm hopeful the members here might shed some light on what could have caused this major malfunction and what I should do in order to avoid a repeat of this potentially disastrous scenario.

View attachment 23968
Looks a lot like a compass issue-- but since you calibrated the compass-- and you had had successful flight before that, it may be firmware connected.

Did you ever switch to Atti to try to re-gain control??

Reactions: Ross
That flight path is beautiful, and humanly not possible.
Looks like a toilet bowl effect trying spiral out/in...
Like others have said, looks like a compass or maybe VPS issue..
You really need a screen capture app to record the telemetry and screen errors.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers