Auto Land - Loss of Control

J0N

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a phantom 2 v3 with latest updates. The other day when the battery got to 12% all the lights flashed red and i lost control. its started to climb and then came down to land slowly nearly hitting my house. I had no control over it, it was completely unresponsive. Today the same thing happened again when the batter was at 20%. Luckily it hasn't crashed either time. The first time i though it was due to low battery but this time i had 20% left. is this just an auto land when battery is low or is it a fault with my phantom?

Sorry if this has been asked before I have searched but not found the answer.

Thanks

Jon

I think the threshold for Low and Critical battery levels are 20% and 15%, but I am unable to verify this at this moment.

At 20% you should expect Auto land, or RTH if configured
At 15% you should expect Auto land.

Did you try using the throttle to reduce the rate of decent ?
Did you try ATTI?

Hi,

Thanks for your response. It was completely unresponsive to any controls. I didn't try ATTI, would that have given me some control?

Thanks again

Jon

ATTI returns control. You need to learn these things otherwise you will lose your bird.

J0N said:
Hi,

I have a phantom 2 v3 with latest updates. The other day when the battery got to 12% all the lights flashed red and i lost control. its started to climb and then came down to land slowly nearly hitting my house. I had no control over it, it was completely unresponsive. Today the same thing happened again when the batter was at 20%. Luckily it hasn't crashed either time. The first time i though it was due to low battery but this time i had 20% left. is this just an auto land when battery is low or is it a fault with my phantom?

Sorry if this has been asked before I have searched but not found the answer.

Thanks

Jon

You didn't lose control over your quad as it was doing what it was programed to do when it reached critical battery level which the same as failsafe. Connect you P2 to the assistant software turn it on and go into the battery tab under the advance icon there you'll see a check box labeled GO HOME uncheck that box. Now when the P2 reaches low battery level it will land where it is at the time instead of ascending 20m and flying home.

Since you haven't mentioned whether you have FPV you should keep your P2 within line of sight.

I have FPV with IOSd which is how i know the % battery. Still learning the ins and outs of it, thanks for everyones help!!

dont feel to bad ... this happened to me the very first flight. I was close to the ground knowing the battery would be low. then it shot up moved over started landing on a fence i caught it. I thought i and asked all the questions but had no idea how to take it back once the program took it away... you might want to learn how to cancel the return to home.

Thanks David. Still learning, hopefully i know enough now not to lose or crash it. Thanks agin everyone, its good to know its not faulty, ill land it before it reaches 20% from now on

what you should do now is make a diagram of what he controls do and practice it .. have it with you before each flight do a preflight inspection of your quad before each flight make it a routine check the quad look are props are on correctly all the screws are there in the body , battery in and charged, ect .. check you transmitter even put a date on it so you know how long the batteries have been in switches. best to change then before they run dry. One thing I learned first is GPS mode is not so accurate you need at least 30 feet in all directions.

having a plan of what you will do before it happens helps like if your flying towards and object and cant figure out which way is forward or need to get out of the way you can almost always go up .... most of the time being higher is safe it low stuff that you hit. when you fly close to object look to see that the air space up is clear that way if you need to get out of the way of something can go up.

practice all the controls like return to home ect ... try them but be ready to take control back if you need to. I had a bad battery and before i figured out that was the cause i had to take it out of the low battery land a couple times to prevent a crash.

Also i would stay away from carbon fiber props, just my opinion I am sure some guys will say they are the best. I dont know if it was the cheap Ebay props or what but they are still is what I think and would not grab the dead are or burble well so if you lower the copter straight done in a column of air the air on top become dead the copter will fall if you go close to the ground and want to power up to slow down fast. I hope that makes sense.

Keep in mind they are pretty tuff a new body is $56 dollars ... so as long as you do not smack down on concrete from 100 feet you might live to fly again

David2676 said:
One thing I learned first is GPS mode is not so accurate you need at least 30 feet in all directions.

30ft, are you kidding me, with GPS the most I get is a drift of 4ft left or right and practically zero up and down, if your getting a drift of 30ft then you seriously need to look into why.

mendezl said:
do not fly with battery so low. 12% is critical levels. Land at 25 -30%

I land before the battery gets to these critical levels... but really makes you miss that remaining 25%. :)

I guess I haven't tried, but I could switch to manual mode so it doesn't autoland? But then fear it going from straight to 15% > 0% lol. Not worth it....

I think in manual mode it will still autoland as its part of the built in programming.

I believe if you get to critical battery and it goes into auto land you cant switch off GPS mode and control left right ect .. you just cannot go up... if that makes sense .. i had a bad battery and it would go into critical battery landing at two lights if I tried to fly up. when I switched off GPS mode i could steer to a landing point but I could not go or higher ..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20