Australian Outback From Above

Reaction score
I spent a couple of months travelling around the Outback and Central Australian Desert country and captured some videos here and there when it wasn't too windy,which it was most of the time.
Apologies for the prop shadows in some places but on day one of the trip I had a crash landing because i flew in strong winds and ran out of battery power very quickly and just as I got the phantom back to me it fell from about 20 feet up and smashed the only ND filter I had with me. :oops: No other damage and flew many more flights throughout the trip with no problems.

Algebuckina Bridge,near Oodnadatta,the longest rail bridge in South Australia,no longer in use,part of the Old Ghan Line from Adelaide to Dawin.
[vimeo]107811648[/vimeo]
Funny Story;
A few days after this flight I was talking to some people camped nearby to me and they told me of a conversation they had with two gents who were standing at one end of the bridge taking in the view and one said to the other"It doesn't get any more remote than this does it mate"and at that moment my Phantom flew over above them (you can see them in the video) and they said to the folks I was talking to "This strange whirlygig thing buzzed over us,turned around and flew off into the distance,I don't know where it came from or where it went but it must have been alien technology or something,it was weird"
:lol: That story made my day. :lol:

Dalhousie Springs.A network of artesian hot springs on the Western edge of The Simpson Desert.
[vimeo]108464644[/vimeo]
Kingfisher Spring,4 Kilometers North East of Dalhousie Spring.
[vimeo]108702102[/vimeo]

More to come,I'll post them here as I get them edited and uploaded.Enjoy.

Funny story, Cool scenery too.

Doesn't look like the bridge gets used much. Did they move the railway?

Some great footage there and a very funny story.

You can imagine what they were thinking at the time! hahah

I'm heading to Cape York in July this year and really looking forward to getting some great footage of this beautiful country of ours.

IflyinWY said:
Funny story, Cool scenery too.

Doesn't look like the bridge gets used much. Did they move the railway?
The desert scenery is beautiful and it's amazing how it much changes as you travel through it.Too much to see in one go,I'm planning another trip out there later this year or early next year.
The bridge was decommissioned in 1981,9 years short of 100 years in service,and the new line was built 160klm West of this section of the Old Ghan line.

DanGC said:
Some great footage there and a very funny story.

You can imagine what they were thinking at the time! hahah

I'm heading to Cape York in July this year and really looking forward to getting some great footage of this beautiful country of ours.
Sounds good,the cape is high on my bucket list and I hope to get up there in the next year or two.There should be plenty of opportunity to capture some great video and photos along the way.
If you have not found it yet check out the 4x4 Earth forum before you go.There is lots of information there from folks who have done the cape so you can read up on what to expect and find out from those that have been recently about fuel costs and road conditions,and as the web sites motto suggests find a good route.
http://www.4x4earth.com.au/

Hi PTCX

Thanks for the clip on the Algebuckina Bridge,near Oodnadatta been along time since I last seen that place , just got a P3 and still need to get some fly time up before I could do it as well as you have

cheers
David

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20