Australia- flying at parks/ovals

Reaction score
i learnt something today about local ordinances in my area. My intention was to have a quick flight at a local oval, something I haven't done before, my preference is to fly at beaches and other areas late or early when few people are around. I had some issues with a new battery yesterday and wanted to fly it again after a second charge to test it.

Seemed like a good spot, not a person in sight. Literally 30s after launch I get some old bird appear from nowhere yelling at me telling me she is calling the police and the rangers. Long story short there is a sign I located (posted below) which serves to notify that model aircraft flight, amongst other things, is an offence under the local government act and penalties may be applied.

Later enquiry revealed that this policy is enforced with respect to all public places in the municipality.

The battery will be going back today. 2 cycles and major cell variations both flights.

IMG_1698.PNG

Seem to recall signs with similar wording when I lived in Wollongong 40 years ago, does anyone have an archery set anymore? Probably the reason I left the over regulated and police state and moved west where local council by laws are a bit more realistic. The old dear probably has a poodle that routinely craps at the same oval waiting for you to step on whilst you are scrambling to pack up your responsibly flown drone......

Seem to recall signs with similar wording when I lived in Wollongong 40 years ago, does anyone have an archery set anymore? Probably the reason I left the over regulated and police state and moved west where local council by laws are a bit more realistic. The old dear probably has a poodle that routinely craps at the same oval waiting for you to step on whilst you are scrambling to pack up your responsibly flown drone......
If she had a dog I didn't see it. Perhaps it ran away. She really got herself worked up into a state, I remained polite until it was suggested i might have the intention of taking photos of children. I was quite deliberate in my use of words at that point.

I have enjoyed my visits to the west. People are obviously more layed back.

Taking photos of children is a weird thing to say but unfortunately those sort of people exist amongst us. Coming over to Wollongong in April for a family visit and bringing my drone, getting stressed just thinking about the traffic and people, apparently using Skype isn't good enough and I have to appear in person. Yuk.

Geez I fly in local parks here (Melbourne) - responsibly of course, but I will need to check signs too now. I did laugh when I saw wording on that pic of sign you posted: it's an offence to use a "loudspeaker" or "amplifier" - that makes almost everybody whom uses a phone or even hearing aid an offender

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Geez I fly in local parks here (Melbourne) - responsibly of course, but I will need to check signs too now. I did laugh when I saw wording on that pic of sign you posted: it's an offence to use a "loudspeaker" or "amplifier" - that makes almost everybody whom uses a phone or even hearing aid an offender

I doubt any court would extend the definition to mobile phones for the purpose of supporting an infringement. I get where you are coming from, keeping in the spirit of the joke it is becoming. If people had been using the area when I arrived I wouldn't have flown. It's boring scenery and waste of a battery cycle (my view only), better places to
Fly. The point is I was in compliance with CASA guidelines, seems we have additional layers of regulation to be mindful of also.

Yep it was light hearted comment, I totally get flying to CASA guidelines - like yourself I comply, and fly elsewhere if folk around. My concern is there is no obvious source of information to try comply, for all we know some council may post a sign at (quiet) beach/s and again we could be in breech [emoji849]. Safe flying

Yep it was light hearted comment, I totally get flying to CASA guidelines - like yourself I comply, and fly elsewhere if folk around. My concern is there is no obvious source of information to try comply, for all we know some council may post a sign at (quiet) beach/s and again we could be in breech [emoji849]. Safe flying

Yep. The trick is more about knowing when to fly rather than where. And putting a bit of thought into where you launch from and avoiding attention in flight. Out of sight out of mind so to speak.

What a *****!
Technically speaking a drone is a drone and not a aeroplane and its under 2 kg they have to be more specific i fly mine here at the oval all the time mostly to get a good compass calibration never had a problem quite the opposite
People always interested and friendly [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Hmm doesn't mention boomerangs. Is it a danger to the public ? Well no not really mostly to the thrower .
Attach a gimbal to one and go for it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic