Atti to GPS

Reaction score
I want to launch from my balcony. I have flown my 1st non GPS Drone from here hundreds of times but now want to fly my p3s from here. I can't lock enough satalites unless I'm holding it out a foot from above balcony/overhang.
Can I launch in Atti mode and then when it aquires enough, switch over to GPS? Or do you have 1st aquire in GPS mode? Or would it be better to aquire as many as I can and still launch in GPS mode?
I was going to build a plank that would attach off balcony to launch from and then hand catch. I've never hand released. I guess I could practice anoway.

Mike

I want to launch from my balcony. I have flown my 1st non GPS Drone from here hundreds of times but now want to fly my p3s from here. I can't lock enough satalites unless I'm holding it out a foot from above balcony/overhang.
Can I launch in Atti mode and then when it aquires enough, switch over to GPS? Or do you have 1st aquire in GPS mode? Or would it be better to acquire as many as I can and still launch in GPS mode?
You can launch without GPS and get GPS when your Phantom is out in the open.
I've had to occasionally when launching from under tree cover and flying up and out of a hole in the canopy.
A couple of points to remember:
Your home point will be where the Phantom gets GPS and not where you launch
Your Phantom will not have position holding until it has GPS so keep it out away from obstacles
There's probably a lot of steel in your balcony. You don't want to launch from close above steel as it can mess with your compass.​

Thanks Metal 4.
I have it set to hover at end of rth or mission above my uilding incase home point is to close to building.
Good point on metal in balcony. It's all concrete but there must be rebar inside. How close would it need to be to mess with and will it tell me this on the controller screen. BTW. I typically fly litchi if that makes a difference.
Thanks
Mike

I have it set to hover at end of rth or mission above my building in case home point is to close to building.
You can set Litchi to hover at the end of a mission but RTH is different.
RTH is DJI programming rather than Litchi and you can't set it to hover except in your Loss of Signal options - not RTH.
So be ready to cancel RTH before it tries to land.
Good point on metal in balcony. It's all concrete but there must be rebar inside. How close would it need to be to mess with and will it tell me this on the controller screen.
Hard to say as it depends on how much steel as well as how close.
If there is enough steel/close enough the app will alert you but I wouldn't rely on that 100% as it could be just below the level the Phantom would detect and cause trouble.
This thread explains the potential issues: Looking for Trouble ??
Just guessing but a couple of feet separation might be enough for safety - such as launching from a plastic box or a wooden stool etc.

I made a large wood take off plank that attaches to my balconies. It stick out a few feet from actual balcony. Flew both with no issues. (Besides my battery level showing zero- but that's another thread)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic