Atti or Failsafe?

Reaction score
Well, with the weather being windy and wet here in Scotland, and having completed about 10 uneventful hours of flying my Phantom, I decided to take advantage of the opportunity using the Assistant software to change the setting on my PV2 from Phantom mode to Naza-M mode, primarily to enable Course Lock and Home Lock.

However, having done that, I see there is now an option to change the lowest position of the S1 switch to either 'Atti' (default) 'Manual' or 'Failsafe'. Clearly, Manual isn't an option, but I was wondering what option most of you guys have chosen? For now, I have left it at the default position of 'Atti', but unless there is a strong argument for not doing so, my instinct would be to set it to 'Failsafe' with 'Go-home and Land' enabled.

I would set it to failsafe. The ATTI is already available in the center position. And I assume you are talking about S2 instead. (right one?).

I only have the P2V+ but assume its the same. And yes I think go home and land is the safest in most applications. Depends on your environment though.

I would not want to be above a lake and have it just land !

rrmccabe said:
I would set it to failsafe. The ATTI is already available in the center position. And I assume you are talking about S2 instead. (right one?).

The right switch on my tx is labelled S1. No matter, you have confirmed my suspicions and I shall set it as 'Failsafe'. As you say, ATTI is already enabled in the center position.

Thanks for the reply.

S1 is the right-most switch, rrmccabe. Always has been.

As has been said... ATTI is already in position 2, so I suppose you could set position 3 to ATTI as well if you really REALLY didn't want manual OR failsafe on the switch... but it seems like an odd option. Not sure why they put it on there (I didn't notice it, myself, when I was in the latest Assistant... since I already have it set to Failsafe and didn't really explore the options).

If it were me, I'd set it to Failsafe (oh, hey, it WAS me, and I DID!)

Since originally posting ( it is still raining!), I have used the Assistant software to set the lowest position of S1 to 'Failsafe'. As I understand it, setting it thus avoids the necessity to switch off the tx and break communication, forcing RTH, should there be a problem.

Just three days after taking delivery of my Phantom, I flew it so far out I lost orientation. I tried, but failed, to bring it back, and succeed only in pushing it even further out. Twice. That gave me a bad fright. Having secured a good homelock and having no other choice, I switched off the tx, forcing RTH. I realized how lucky I was, just how easily things could have gone wrong. It was with this in mind that initiated Naza-M, allowing me to enable both Course and Home Lock, the latter now hopefully being ( under similar circumstances) my guardian angel.

Sorry, you guys are right. Teach me to not respond to something before I am awake.

I have always thought S1 and S2 is backwards and always have to double think it !

But, still would stick with failsafe.

dirkclod said:
Is kinda strange that the #'s are *** backwards huh :? I quess they used to saying 4,3,2,1 Go !!! :lol:
Isn't Chinese read from right to left? Maybe that explains it...

I think the switch numbers have more to do with use and is a hold-over rather than something DJI specified. In traditional RC, you take your hand off the throttle as little as possible. And in the more prevalent Mode 2, that means your right hand is the primary hand for "doing other stuff"... thus the primary switch - switch "1" - is on the right.

Makes less sense with a Phantom, since your left hand doesn't need to stay on the throttle as much... but DJI probably wanted hobbyists coming from other types of craft to feel comfortable. It's just a standard.

Pretty sure all controllers are like that, now, if you dig in the documentation for what their switches are actually called.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers