ATTI Mode

Reaction score
Last week I had a close encounter with a palm tree while playing in atti mode. I had practiced atti but never noticed that if going full speed forward, going up is almwost impossible. That was the reason of the collision. Be very careful while speeding in atti because it don't like to climb, and for the contrary, like to sink.

Makes sense. When you are flying horizontal at full speed, there is no spare power for additional lift until the drone slows down.

Atti. mode should be the default flight mode as it gives you the most immunuty from the GPS and compass related errors causing uncommanded opertion(s).

GPS is only useful for hovering in place.

dirkclod said:
How do you have your S1 settings N017RW ? I have mine at GPS -ATTI -RTH and that works great for me and have tried Manual once and that was enough for me :lol: I put it back to FS . Me not quick enough to fly that way ! Just asking :cool:

No Probs...
Well I have a P2 and have replaced the DJI control with a Futaba T10J.

My programmed S1 equivalent is 'GPS-Atti.-Manual'. My fail-safe, or RTH, is a third switch which is mixed to override S1 in any of the 3 positions.

N017RW said:
Atti. mode should be the default flight mode as it gives you the most immunuty from the GPS and compass related errors causing uncommanded opertion(s).

True. But, I bet 3/4 of the Phantoms if they had no GPS would never have been sold.

N017RW said:

I think GPS is also necessary for RTH, IOC, HL and GS; or not?

phantomi said:
N017RW said:

I think GPS is also necessary for RTH, IOC, HL and GS; or not?

Separate issues.

I came to quads as a past pilot of all types of R/C aircraft.
As such I prefer as little 'between me and the sticks' as necessary.
The more you 'lean on' the less control you have and that's why some Phantoms just 'slip away'.

Therefore those items you listed are not important to me but I respect they may be to others.

For MANY this is either their first r/c aircraft and for others their first r/c anything.
I get it.

I suspect there are even others who don't really want to fly, they just have to to get the shots or other data they want or need.

Fortunately it's a big Sky so there's room for all of us ;) .

Cheers!

phantomi said:
Last week I had a close encounter with a palm tree while playing in atti mode. I had practiced atti but never noticed that if going full speed forward, going up is almwost impossible. That was the reason of the collision. Be very careful while speeding in atti because it don't like to climb, and for the contrary, like to sink.

atti is short for attitude, it isn't short for altitude. in full gps mode the amount of speed allowed means the angle of the copter, or its attitude doesn't exceed an angle where there is not enough thrust available to maintain height and reach the maximum allowed ground speed. in atti mode attitude, it allows the quad to alter its angle by more to get more speed. if you ask for full speed it doesn't have the thrust available to maintain height so it defaults to getting the power required from the Z axis so the thing sinks. what would happen in gps mode in high winds going into a head wind where ground speed can't be reached at the normal angles i wonder if it would tilt the quad more to try and get speed and maybe loose height, or keep the height and not give you the speed you expect??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20