Atti and my two crashes

Reaction score
I've been practicing every day with my P3S (purchased in early March) and have had two crashes so far. Both occurred when I was just a few feet above ground and no damage other than scruffed-up props. In each case, my mode switched to Atti by itself? I was in P-GPS and suddenly found myself in Atti which I haven't learned to control yet. Did I do something wrong? Is this common?

I have lost PGPS out over an iced over, wide open 17 mile lake and the drone just blew off with the wind until I realized what was happening and brought it back.

Makes no sense to me how a gps unit can lose 14 satellites and wander off.

I was about 10 ft above the ice just practicing.

Makes no sense to me how a gps unit can lose 14 satellites and wander off.

I was about 10 ft above the ice just practicing.
I agree, however, this is a common issue with mobile GPS units for ones car as well. Hate when driving along and all of a sudden it says it has no GPS signal. :confused:

Get that sucker up in the air next time. Hey no reason to be flying that low to the ground

Reactions: dirkclod
Through the woods. Any trees over head possibly causing gps loss?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Practice the hell out of that drone in atti mode too. I spent a long time practicing Atti mode. Just for the reasons you had.
Don't feel bad about the crash(es), I had a few myself. Part of learning I guess.
Good luck and keep at it.

Reactions: Airbroker
I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this yet, but it's likely that you accidentally flipped one or more of the S switches and ended up in Atti mode. Before lifting off, check what mode you're in at the top left of the DJI go app and/or flip the S1 to the up (1) position to get back in P-GPS, or all the way down (3) to get F-GPS mode. If it's in the center (2), it's in Atti mode. Same thing happened to me when I first started as I didn't realize the switches were getting flipped when putting it into the box. I tried flying it in the garage and it drifted right into a chair. Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Yes, it is possible I accidentally hit the switch into atti. I'm paying better attention to the mode I'm in and the number of satellites locked in. Thanks everyone for your advice and guidance. Just gotta build my confidence and skill level - I can't wait until I'm a good flier. What a blast!

Get that sucker up in the air next time. Hey no reason to be flying that low to the ground
I was in the middle of a frozen 17 mile lake. lol
However I have flown down the lake a couple miles and back @ 150 ft.

My bird went into atti mode when I started to fly under a small bridge over a creek. I immediately pulled it back out and tried to give it altitude but it went sideways and bumped the top of a fence post but did not crash and I hand snatched it out of the air. Only time I have ever hit anything with it. I don't recommend flying under bridges.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Squirrel!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl