Atlanta's 5-mile Drone Ban

Reaction score
I'm surprised that Atlanta's new "ban on drones" has not gotten much (if any) notice here yet.

In the spring, a couple of people harmlessly used drones to take pictures of the Georgia state capitol building. So Governor Nathan Deal asked for, AND GOT, a drone ban radiating five miles from the centrally-located capitol building. This area includes most of Atlanta. !!!???!!!

Needless to say, there has been a lot of pushback, saying that they didn't have the legislative authority or enforcement authority. One legal challenge will probably get the whole thing thrown out.

Most people are still flying them anyway, just not near the capitol. We still see them in Piedmont Park (Atlanta's version of Central Park).

This is a state that actively fought to allow semi-automatic weapons in the atrium of the world's busiest airport and state-college libraries, but was freaked out by a couple of small drones! It wasn't the pilots' fault at all.

We need effective lobbying advocates!

#3 SouthernPhantom, A moment ago

Last edited:
Reactions: Bag1
stupid law...

i won't get started on the political side of the argument... i'll just say leadership at the state level in the south is lacking in common sense...

Reactions: SouthernPhantom
It's NOT just the South.

Incrementally, there will be nowhere to fly these drones within 24 months. Every airport, every city, every park, every beach, every public road....all because of phobias. This is a modern day witch hunt.

Really...US in all its glory...
Here in Europe the best US show I love to see is the Daily Show with Jon Stewart. And I always end the show with my mouth open with what politician get way in there...

QUOTE="JKDSensei, post: 478543, member: 28963"]It's NOT just the South.

Incrementally, there will be nowhere to fly these drones within 24 months. Every airport, every city, every park, every beach, every public road....all because of phobias. This is a modern day witch hunt.[/QUOTE]
"all because of phobias"
Wrong, all because of stupid flyers...

"all because of phobias"

and because of the media and phobias...

the media is really good at fear mongering. some cable stations more than others...

"all because of phobias"

and because of the media and phobias...

the media is really good at fear mongering. some cable stations more than others...[/QUOTE]
And the morons flying their toys give them the ammunition.

Really...US in all its glory...
Here in Europe the best US show I love to see is the Daily Show with Jon Stewart. And I always end the show with my mouth open with what politician get way in there...
John Stewart is a "comedian". His show is on the "Comedy Channel". He shows highly-edited video clips to make them "funny". Good grief................ we thought it was only the low-information voters over here that took a comedian's jokes as actual political "news". :rolleyes:

Reactions: Marlin009
John Stewart is a "comedian". His show is on the "Comedy Channel". He shows highly-edited video clips to make them "funny". Good grief................ we thought it was only the low-information voters over here that took a comedian's jokes as actual political "news". :rolleyes:
He is a comedian. He is also a social commentary wizard.
Is is a joke politician over there can get ilimited funds for their political campaign?

Is it a joke any bozo can run for president?

Is it a joke anyone can get a gun in most states, but almost noone can fly an RC model?

He is a comedian. He is also a social commentary wizard.
Is is a joke politician over there can get ilimited funds for their political campaign?

Is it a joke any bozo can run for president?

Is it a joke anyone can get a gun in most states, but almost noone can fly an RC model?

i'm trying real hard to remain non-political, but you are correct.

one party in this country insists on guns being as easy to buy as bubblegum. no background checks...

a very vocal, but minority faction in this party is also soooooo angry about politics, they should not be trusted with guns.

my .02

back to stupid laws in Atlanta.

Reactions: macsoft
The last two posts beat me to the same type of comment! Good for you!

As the person who started this thread, I will merely add that comedians like Jon Stewart, Bill Maher, and Stephen Colbert continue a long tradition of political satire, following pundits such as H. L. Mencken, Will Rogers, and the many political cartoonists who reflect (and absolutely influence) political trends.

So yes, let's get back to Atlanta's stupid new drone ban, and not denigrate other people's posts, please.

As I mentioned my original comment, it probably won't survive its first legal challenge. And it's not being enforced, mostly.

But the mindset that created it is disturbing and unnecessary. It's another sleazy political scheme that panders to latent paranoia and fear of the unknown.

But if you're reading this, you already know that! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Airborne

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers