ATC: establishing a "mutually agreed upon operating procedure"

Reaction score
One of the revisions in last year's updating of AC 91-57 talks about what to do if you regularly fly within an airport's radius (for instance, if you live there). This is different from the previous rule which required notification every time:

Model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport).

Has anyone talked to their nearby tower about setting up such a thing and how did the conversation go? What did they want from you, how do they want to be notified, etc.

I spoke with the airport manager at Boca Raton Airport in South Florida and he said they don't do agreements. The excuse was that the tower is not run or owned by the airport, but instead a contractor. He did tell me that the tower was in the process of changing managers and that agreements would be discussed when the new manager is in place.

In the meantime, I should just continue notifying the tower AND airport security as stipulated in their home webpage.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31