At what % should I leave my battery

Reaction score
I don't fly my bird often. If both of my batteries are around 20% after my last flights, should I keep them at that percentage or charge them to 50% for storage (since the instruction say to store the batteries with 50% charge)? Maybe it really doesn't even matter. I fly about every 2 weeks or so. Just trying to maintain my batteries as well as possible.

Thanks for your comments.

I think you're fine leaving them below 50%.

Reactions: Bateman233
If you're going to store them for two weeks I would probably try to leave them around 40% or 50% but that's just me being paranoid. You're probably fine just to leave them as is, at worst the overall life will decrease some.

If both of my batteries are around 20% after my last flights, should I keep them at that percentage or charge them to 50% for storage (since the instruction say to store the batteries with 50% charge)?
Should you follow the manufacturer's recommendations - or does it matter?
LiPo batteries can get wrecked by storing full or empty.
Follow the instructions.

I tend to bring my P3P back to home at 25-30%. Then I pop in the next battery. I store them that way... But that's me.

If you're going to store them for two weeks I would probably try to leave them around 40% or 50% but that's just me being paranoid. You're probably fine just to leave them as is, at worst the overall life will decrease some.
There are wide differences of opinion on this-- good rule of thumb practiced by many experienced RC pilots-- 40 to 60 % if they are going to be stored for any extended period of time. It is worthy to note, that cell balance is important when stored for a while-- so to bring them in and store them without any thought to checking the cell status may not be good practices. Always best to pop them in the charger if they are below 40% and bring them up to 40 percent which also serves to balance the cells before putting them away.

Reactions: Fplvert
I tend to bring my P3P back to home at 25-30%. Then I pop in the next battery. I store them that way... But that's me.
Nothing wrong with that, bro. There is no scientific proof that storing your Dji lipo batteries at less than 50% will harm them. In fact, they are usually shipped this way.

As far as strictly following the Manufacture's recommendations, meh, they not always so accurate. A good example would be their compass calibration recommendation for every flight.

Let's be totally honest, your mileage may vary. Manufacturers in China have no legal responsibility or liability in their products.

Don't think I'm criticizing, I love the birds. I'm just going by my personal experience with lipos.

Reactions: Texas Gonzo
I store mine at 50%. I have six batteries and haven't gone below 50% and have adequate flying time with six batteries flying that way. I fly to 50% and land. On the rare occasion where my filming shots are long I have gone to 40, but I kinda like the way the batteries are working and NOT wearing.

Sent from my PT beating heart

I store mine at 50%. I have six batteries and haven't gone below 50% and have adequate flying time with six batteries flying that way. I fly to 50% and land. On the rare occasion where my filming shots are long I have gone to 40, but I kinda like the way the batteries are working and NOT wearing.

Sent from my PT beating heart
Nothing wrong with that -- I am fairly conservative with mine also-- in another 6 months, this care issue may become proven for all those who like to run the tank down to fumes. The longevity of six batteries will certainly be a fair test. :)

Reactions: jryser

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik