Assistant software advice?????

Reaction score
I have had the new PHANTOM 2 (non vision) for about a week now....LOVE IT. However trying to understand the Assistant Software. Specifically I am trying to see if I need to enable IOC to e able to have Home Lock and Crs Lock. I see no option for enabling the IOC on the software. I will admit I have not tried throwing the left toggle switch. Am reluctant to do this until I know what will happen. Anyone have any advice or insight??? Is there a manual for this software that is specific to the P2??

You have to switch from Phantom mode to Naza mode in the assistant. It will show which mode your in up towards the top of your screen. Once in Naza mode, you will enable IOC, and have course/home lock.

Also, Make sure your failsafe is set to return to home and land, and not land.

When I change from Phantom mode to NAza mode and enable the IOC (and check to make sure I am in the "come home and land" fail safe.....is there anything else that will change?? Or will it be just like flying in "Phantom" mode but with added flying options?? (I am very new to the hobby and REALLY dont want my first crash!!!)

With both switches in the up position, it will fly like it did out of the box, GPS mode. If you flip the left switch down to the middle, it will activate course lock, and fly in a grid based on the phantoms startup direction... Click the left switch to the lowest position, and home lock will be enabled, so that pulling back on the right stick will get the phantom to come directly back to its home start point, no matter what the phantoms current location is.

If you click the right switch to the middle, that will enable ATTI mode. It will hold altitude, but will act as if its on ice on any horizontal movement and wont immediately stop on its own. Gps mode (right switch upper position) will stop the horizontal movement when the right stick is centered, as it did out of the box.

Right switch all the way down can be programmed to be full manual mode, or return to home failsafe. Shutting off the controller will trigger failsafe as will loss of communication with the transmitter, so you probably want to leave the lowest position as full manual mode. I wouldnt suggest flying in full manual mode, but if the phantom gets a mind of its own (serious interference, compass issues, software issues, motor failure, etc), and wont respond to gps, or ATTI controls, you can try to switch to manual mode and try to land (or at least drop it out of the air) instead of watching your phantom fly away and never be seen again...

Many thanks for the info. Have enabled IOC. This should help my flights alot as I am always lossing sight of it and rely on shutting tx off to get to come back to me. Again.......THANK YOU!!!

Glad I could help. Ive had my Phantom 2 for a week now, and havent been able to fly it yet because we have a foot of snow on the ground! Im dying to try it out, but in the meantime Ive done as much reading online as possible to make sure my first experience goes troublefree. Cant wait for some warm weather to melt this snow!!

Come on!!!!! I live in Maine!! We just had a foot of snow and have done 5 flights in the week I have owned it!!! :) Have actually brought it to Sugarloaf (Huge ski area) this week to see if I can fly it off the summit!!

Mooringmaster said:
Come on!!!!! I live in Maine!! We just had a foot of snow and have done 5 flights in the week I have owned it!!! :) Have actually brought it to Sugarloaf (Huge ski area) this week to see if I can fly it off the summit!!

:D Your a much braver soul than me! We have some high 40s-50s degrees coming up later this week, so I will get it out this weekend and give it a shot. Im tired of reading and watching videos, Im ready to fly!! :D

tawd77 said:
Click the left switch to the lowest position, and home lock will be enabled, so that pulling back on the right stick will get the phantom to come directly back to its home start point, no matter what the phantoms current location is....

So just to be clear, if I fly in vision mode (NOT naza mode) with the left switch down to lowest position, it will still fly normally and in GPS mode EXCEPT it will fly back to me (home) when I pull the right stick back, regardless of its orientation?

I'd like to experiment with this home feature, but only want to fly in GPS mode.

Mooringmaster said:
Many thanks for the info. Have enabled IOC. This should help my flights alot as I am always lossing sight of it and rely on shutting tx off to get to come back to me. Again.......THANK YOU!!!

Personally, I would save shutting off the TX for only when you really need it, so its good that you can use IOC instead! Just a hint of caution about the S1 and S2 switches in Naza mode. If you're not used to them, it's easy to forget about them. And the Phantom will behave very differently in each mode which can be confusing if you're not expecting it.

I stupidly sent my Phantom into a brick wall by switching from ATTI to manual (yikes!!!) instead of back to GPS (brain lapse). Fortunately, I had already had a run in with a palm tree the week before which meant the gimbal wasn't mounted at the time otherwise I'd be shopping for a new one!

Pmcdn said:
So just to be clear, if I fly in vision mode (NOT naza mode) with the left switch down to lowest position, it will still fly normally and in GPS mode EXCEPT it will fly back to me (home) when I pull the right stick back, regardless of its orientation?

I'd like to experiment with this home feature, but only want to fly in GPS mode.

Correct. You will still be in GPS mode so the Phantom will hold its position in the wind and stop when you center the sticks. It will simply maintain a line to your home point. You can even yaw and it will maintain that line which is useful for filming.

ianwood said:
Mooringmaster said:

Personally, I would save shutting off the TX for only when you really need it, so its good that you can use IOC instead! Just a hint of caution about the S1 and S2 switches in Naza mode. If you're not used to them, it's easy to forget about them. And the Phantom will behave very differently in each mode which can be confusing if you're not expecting it.

I stupidly sent my Phantom into a brick wall by switching from ATTI to manual (yikes!!!) instead of back to GPS (brain lapse). Fortunately, I had already had a run in with a palm tree the week before which meant the gimbal wasn't mounted at the time otherwise I'd be shopping for a new one!

Pmcdn said:

Correct. You will still be in GPS mode so the Phantom will hold its position in the wind and stop when you center the sticks. It will simply maintain a line to your home point. You can even yaw and it will maintain that line which is useful for filming.

Good to know! Is it OK to startup in Home mode (left switch down) or should I switch it down after takeoff?

BTW... this is a really great forum. I've had as much fun reading/posting here as I have with my actual PV ;-)

Pmcdn said:
Good to know! Is it OK to startup in Home mode (left switch down) or should I switch it down after takeoff?

BTW... this is a really great forum. I've had as much fun reading/posting here as I have with my actual PV ;-)

Home lock doesn't work within xx (20?) feet of your home location which makes sense if you think about it. As a rule, best to start with both S1 (GPS) and S2 (IOC off) in the fully up positions. Also good to make that part of your pre-flight checks.

ianwood said:
Pmcdn said:

Wait a minute. He said if he is NOT in Naza Mode. I thought that if he wasn't in Naza mode Home Lock would not function no matter what the position of the left switch is. I may be misunderstaning this or simply misunderstaning the terminology. I am assuming NAZA mode is set in the Assistant Software. if you want to fly with Home Lock but still in GPS, you set change to NAZA mode with the Assistant Software, but then you keep your right switch in the upper position (GPS mode) amd change the left switch to he lowest position. That would enable flying in GPS and Home Lock. If you want to take it out of GPS Mode but fly in Home Lock, you change to NAZA with the Assistant Software, Set the left switch to it's lowest position and set the right switch to the middle position.

CoppellDarryl said:
Wait a minute. He said if he is NOT in Naza Mode. I thought that if he wasn't in Naza mode Home Lock would not function no matter what the position of the left switch is.

Good catch! You're right. I didn't see that in his post. Pmcdn, IOC only works when you set Naza mode in the assistant software.

ianwood said:
CoppellDarryl said:
Wait a minute. He said if he is NOT in Naza Mode. I thought that if he wasn't in Naza mode Home Lock would not function no matter what the position of the left switch is.

Good catch! You're right. I didn't see that in his post. Pmcdn, IOC only works when you set Naza mode in the assistant software.

Ianwood: Thanks for the clarification. Another question: I hear people say don't use it in NAZA mode until I am super experienced, etc etc. If I switch to NAZA mode and fly with IOC/Home mode on AND in GPS mode, won't it still be as stable to fly as in Vision mode?

Pmcdn said:
Ianwood: Thanks for the clarification. Another question: I hear people say don't use it in NAZA mode until I am super experienced, etc etc. If I switch to NAZA mode and fly with IOC/Home mode on AND in GPS mode, won't it still be as stable to fly as in Vision mode?

I assume you have a P2V and not P2 non-Vision. Regardless, I think they work exactly the same.

The reason they give you a warning about Naza M, is you need to keep an eye on the S1 and S2 switches in Naza M mode. If you inadvertently flip one of them down, you can quickly get yourself into a mess especially if you don't understand what is happening. My suggestion is test each mode (except manual) very carefully, get to know them and always check your switches.

And to be clear, when set to Phantom mode, you can only fly GPS mode with no IOC regardless of S1 and S2. Naza M mode makes it so you can use IOC, ATTI, manual/failsafe, etc. via the S1 and S2 switches. Note that the light flashes are different as well between Phantom and Naza M.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl