Aspect Ratio Confused!

Reaction score
I am really confused on what component transmits at what resolution and aspect ratio. I have heard so many different things from the GoPro to the transmitter.

Either way i'm using a GoPro on my P2 with H2 gimbal and while the video feed is fin when i'm just framing the shot... If I am using it for FPV whether on the screen or on goggles... the image is squashed or stretched because of the changes between 4:3 and 16:9

So annoying and hard to FPV fly. What solutions are there?

scooter339 said:
I suppose you already checked the display options in your FPV?

I know all about display options. The gopro I think transmits signal in whatever aspect ratio the resolution is set at. i think the problem is in the transmitter ... transmitting 4:3 regardless. I'm not sure. I have the AVL-58.

You cannot change the aspect ratio of My Boscam 5802. My boscam is 16:9 resolution but it's receiving and using 4:3 Aspect ratio ... stretching IT!!!!

So in order to get a good "semi" accurate picture... I have to film at a 4:3 Ratio lets say 1440. so it all transmits as 4:3... all the way through the boscam...

then I am stuck looking at a 4:3 stretched to 16:9 on the boscam!

Perhaps the work around would be to think outside the box. Meaning you're seeing 4:3 when your GoPro is at whatever setting that delivers 16:9. This is similar to the problem 50 years ago when Panavision films had to be cropped to 4:3 for TV. Lawrence of Arabia is the classic example. In addition, the 4:3 box had to be moved to follow the action. Your situation is the reverse.

Is that helpful? Probably not, but it may be the only solution.

The TX does transmit in 4:3 it's the monitor that should stretch it. Just like watching a DVD which are all 4:3. Your TV just uses a pixel aspect ratio on the video. The problem is that the tx may not be squishing the 16:9 gopro feed into 4:3 but instead cropping off the edges. If that is what is happening you won't be able to get your 16:9 video back to your monitor

Joel_t said:
The TX does transmit in 4:3 it's the monitor that should stretch it. Just like watching a DVD which are all 4:3. Your TV just uses a pixel aspect ratio on the video. The problem is that the tx may not be squishing the 16:9 gopro feed into 4:3 but instead cropping off the edges. If that is what is happening you won't be able to get your 16:9 video back to your monitor

So... What does a gopro feed look like in fat shark goggles? They display 4:3?

Hmm not too sure. My mate has those goggles so I'll have a look next time I use them. We were just happy we got them working the other day and didn't take too much notice of aspect ratio. Is the 4:3 display on the boscam squished making everything look skinny or does it look normal?

Joel_t said:
Hmm not too sure. My mate has those goggles so I'll have a look next time I use them. We were just happy we got them working the other day and didn't take too much notice of aspect ratio. Is the 4:3 display on the boscam squished making everything look skinny or does it look normal?

Looks squished or stretched based on what resolution gopro was on.

My Boscam just arrived today so I'll have a look and see if I can work it out but sounds like you've tried everything I would try anyway. Will be in touch if I can work it out.

Hopefully get my setup all soldered and working tonight but in the mean time (and this could be a really stupid question) but does turning the GoPros OSD back on help with the aspect problem at all?

Joel_t said:
Hopefully get my setup all soldered and working tonight but in the mean time (and this could be a really stupid question) but does turning the GoPros OSD back on help with the aspect problem at all?

No

Yeah just got mine working and realised it didn't help. Just read somewhere that it may help but no go. I'm stumped I dunno which component is doing the letter boxing.

Joel_t said:
Yeah just got mine working and realised it didn't help. Just read somewhere that it may help but no go. I'm stumped I dunno which component is doing the letter boxing.

There is nothing we can do. It's the GoPro transmits in AR of the resolution... The Tx ONLY transmits 4:3 (standard Definition)... And the boscam 5802 receives in 4:3 and stretches 16:9. UGH!!!

Maybe a stupid question but would using SuperView FOV help since it'll be stretched back out to maybe regular proportions on the LCD?

damoncooper said:
Maybe a stupid question but would using SuperView FOV help since it'll be stretched back out to maybe regular proportions on the LCD?

I'll try it when I get home. Most annoying thing is that the iOSD mini information is coming through in the correct ratio and not being letterboxed so it's a problem before the iosd which just leaves the GoPro.

Clutching at straws a bit here but can you try changing your video mode to PAL? I'm wondering whether the extra res of PAL vs NTSC would maybe fix the issue?? I'm at work so can't test anything myself but if you've got one in front of you to test maybe give that a shot?

Joel_t said:
damoncooper said:

I'll try it when I get home. Most annoying thing is that the iOSD mini information is coming through in the correct ratio and not being letterboxed so it's a problem before the iosd which just leaves the GoPro.

well the iOSD you adjusted in the iOSD assistant software. It kind of makes sense...because maybe the adjustment is pulling it back inside the 4:3 frame. I BET if there was a way to transmit in 16:9 that you should push the adjustment back out and it would be visible.

That being said... yeah... it is in the GoPro and the Transmitter. Try this... set the Resolution on the GOPRO to 1440. not 1080. 1440p is 1080 with a top on it to make it 4:3. Now look what your display looks like.

So what you end up doing is transmit gopro 4:3. Transmitter transmits in 4:3. Boscam displays 4:3 standard def but stretches it out in 16:9 and fills screen. UGH!!!!!! So it sounds like I should be looking for displays and goggles that display 4:3 to get a proper image.

GoPro sends 4:3 or 16:9 image to transmitter. Transmitter sends the image as 4:3 to the receiver...(no boscam 16:9 display) a different display that displays at a 4:3 image displays a true non distorted image. Now... In this case... if you select a resolution let's say 1080p (16:9 AR) I think... that the Display will display a 4:3 image non-distorted but with the black bars on top and bottom. If you use a resolution in the gopro... that is 4:3 like 1440p... then you should get a full screen and NON-distorted image.

I just wonder if the output of the boscam is directly from signal not display on monitor and if someone has a 4:3 monitor around to test... LOL

Yeah it's so irritating trying to work this out. What I don't understand is this though and I'll include a screenshot of a video on YouTube to show my point:

As you can see there is information from the GoPro OSD (record time and wifi status) is being displayed in that top and bottom letterbox space which means the GoPro is correctly displaying a 4:3 image stretched to 16:9. The problem is that the video is not included in that space.

I really thought it may have been a PAL / NTSC problem but if you can test in PAL and it's still not working I'm stumped. My theory behind that is that the resolution of PAL is 720 horizontal by 576 vertical. NTSC is 720 horizontal but only 480 vertical so I thought maybe the black bars are the extra 96 vertical lines that PAL has over NTSC.

Back to the drawing board haha

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2014-05-21-at-10.49.21-am.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2014-05-21-at-10.49.21-am.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 402
Joel_t said:
Yeah it's so irritating trying to work this out. What I don't understand is this though and I'll include a screenshot of a video on YouTube to show my point:

As you can see there is information from the GoPro OSD (record time and wifi status) is being displayed in that top and bottom letterbox space which means the GoPro is correctly displaying a 4:3 image stretched to 16:9. The problem is that the video is not included in that space.

I really thought it may have been a PAL / NTSC problem but if you can test in PAL and it's still not working I'm stumped. My theory behind that is that the resolution of PAL is 720 horizontal by 576 vertical. NTSC is 720 horizontal but only 480 vertical so I thought maybe the black bars are the extra 96 vertical lines that PAL has over NTSC.

Back to the drawing board haha

Yep. it makes sense. the the iosd is sending 4:3 correctly.

Now for the video feed. I can tell you that the Gopro is sending 16:9 --> Transmitter a 16:9 squashed into a 4:3--> Boscam 5802 Rx receives this image and properly displays the image as 4:3 (with the squashed 16:9 AND letterbox BARS!!!).

I can tell you with the same setup if you send the gopro 4:3... everything will go 4:3 except the Boscam is Streathing the 4:3 into a 16:9 resolution SCREEEN!!!! GOD.

The only way to fix this is if the GoPro can send a 4:3 (for viewing image only). OR... since all is transmitting standard def... the boscam should be able to display 4:3... wasted pixels... a way to put black bars on the left and right.

Kinda messed up because it's a waste of monitor. boscam should have known that all transmissions are 4:3 and to make the actual screen a 4:3 screen not a 16:9 screen.

Yes and not just the iosd mini is correct but also the GoPro's on screen display which proves the GoPro is outputting the correct 4:3 signal (16:9 squished to 4:3). The information from the GoPro OSD is not stretched or squished so that proves the correct aspect ratio can be output from the GoPro but for some reason it is letterboxing the video only. Did you get a chance to test and confirm that changing to PAL made no difference?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic