Asking for a friend.... ???

Well don't expect this kind of excellent topic every time, now! A blind hog will find a acorn on occasion, but starve most of the time ya see... ??

Not trying to be a ****. I'm just asking for knowledge. What is the downside to the CF props? They aren't much more expensive than factory replacements. Stronger is better in my case. I'm not using this for things like most of you guys do. I fly over fields to check growth of crops, which puts it in a fairly dangerous position most times. Litchi waypoint missions are nice for that sometimes, but I usually need to be able to stop and look at a certain spot if it's out of the ordinary so I'm not a huge fan of waypoints. They look good if you're really good at the input, but I ain't there yet.
Stronger is better? Well, in the boating world, if I am going exploring, I will put on Aluminum props in case I hit something. Say a nice ROCK. An alum prop will bend or maybe even be destroyed on impact, usually saving your propshaft and lower gear housing. The normal stainless ones are far stronger and put other components at risk in case of some agricultural boating. my 2cents

Reactions: Shoot4fun
Any particular reason? Personal choice is one thing, but if there's a function/danger issue also involved, I'd like to hear your opinions.

IF your “friend” has a crash or bumps a branch or hits some other harder object, I would personally rather risk a blade than say, a motor or part of the support arm because the blade didn’t break. These blades are designed to take as much as it can without, hopefully, transferring the torsion to another area and have it break. You could think of it as kind of a crumple zone.

Not trying to be a ****. I'm just asking for knowledge. What is the downside to the CF props? They aren't much more expensive than factory replacements. Stronger is better in my case. I'm not using this for things like most of you guys do. I fly over fields to check growth of crops, which puts it in a fairly dangerous position most times. Litchi waypoint missions are nice for that sometimes, but I usually need to be able to stop and look at a certain spot if it's out of the ordinary so I'm not a huge fan of waypoints. They look good if you're really good at the input, but I ain't there yet.
From my own experience carbon fiber props often don't fly that good, and their low weight gives them little torque. Just my opinion.

Ok, so I have "this friend" who's not too good at setting waypoint missions and may have inadvertently let his P3S get too low while flying over my millet fields (I mean HIS millet fields...) and it took a nasty tumble. Video was ugly, to say the least. Anywho... I was looking at some different props to replace the one what drove itself into said millet field and snapped in two. I've found several factory style replacement sets that'll work ok. I also ran across these on amazon: Amazon.com: O'woda Carbon Fiber Propellers Noise Reduction Props 9455 Tri Blades CW / CCW Propellers for DJI Phantom 3 Series Drone: Toys & Games
Anyone have anything on these? Will they work? Are they worth using? Just curious. I have my spare blades on now, and I'll be more careful until I have some extras on hand, but I wanted some expert advice.

Thanks!
Brad
I completely destroyed a P3P when a set of so called carbon fiber props broke in half at 200 ft. The p3 crashed on cement. It was not pretty.

From my own experience carbon fiber props often don't fly that good, and their low weight gives them little torque. Just my opinion.
Thanks for the opinion! I've steered away from the CF props based on everyone's input. I did however buy a set from MAS just to try. The geometry is slightly different, so I was curious. I'll post more on them after my bird is healed/new one arrives, which ever comes first! Again, thanks for the input!

Brad
And those MAS props ARE NOT carbon fiber, btw! ?

Last edited:
I completely destroyed a P3P when a set of so called carbon fiber props broke in half at 200 ft. The p3 crashed on cement. It was not pretty.
Oh... Well, if I hadn't decided before reading your post, along with others saying "not good/ not worth it" that would have clinched it for me! Sorry to hear bout your bird! I'll stay away from CF props!
Thanks for your input!

Brad

Stronger is better? Well, in the boating world, if I am going exploring, I will put on Aluminum props in case I hit something. Say a nice ROCK. An alum prop will bend or maybe even be destroyed on impact, usually saving your propshaft and lower gear housing. The normal stainless ones are far stronger and put other components at risk in case of some agricultural boating. my 2cents
On that topic we can certainly agree! Come from a line of offshore racers myself, although by the time I was old enough, dad sold his cigarette and got into airboats. Much more fun to get up early in the morning and run it around the yard on wet grass to pi$$ the neighbors off! I'm officially off looking for CF props!
Thanks for the input!

Brad

IF your “friend” has a crash or bumps a branch or hits some other harder object, I would personally rather risk a blade than say, a motor or part of the support arm because the blade didn’t break. These blades are designed to take as much as it can without, hopefully, transferring the torsion to another area and have it break. You could think of it as kind of a crumple zone.
Yup! You guys have officially scared the poop outta me on CF props... I'll not be buying none of em. Thank you for your input!

Brad

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik