Ask permission or forgiveness?

Reaction score
When flying and filming at monuments and parks, do you ask permission from the park rangers first? Have you ever been denied?

Just my opinion, but If you ask permission you probably will never get it. Even if it's legal to fly, people don't want to be the one who gets blamed for approving the flight if you crash and hurt someone or something.
Just be low key and use common sense. I flew over the grand canyon. After the flight, I walked right past park rangers with the phantom in my hand - and was never questioned. After posting the video on youtube, I had people telling me it was illegal to fly there.

http://youtu.be/fay1fPGu254

As a general rule, I'm a forgiveness kind of guy.

With that said, I want to do some aerial work at the Naval Academy. I think I'll be asking permission for that one!

I am very much a forgiveness man also, and boy can I turn on the apologies big time if needed. I used to be a cop, whenever I pulled someone over 99% of the time I was intending to give only words of advice. People who said sorry and acknowledged what they did went on their way with no further action from me. Then you get people who just want to argue.......

I wanted to use a tripod at Corfe Castle National Trust property once so I asked nicely and got told not without written permission from the trust. So I ended up shooting handheld. Next time I will go into full apology mode if necessary.

The main rule to observe though is apologise and keep apologising no matter how much of an idiot the person challenging you is. Apologise and move away in one smooth procedure and your gonna leave with your footage intact.

Funnily enough I did my first water flight today and happened upon a fisherman in a tent. I could have gone up and asked if I could film but chose to apologise later and so dropped down to take a shot. He just wanted to know all about the Phantom.

If you're dating her, ask for permission.
If it's just a one night stand, just ask for forgiveness :p

(If you plan to return to the site more than once, then it's best to maintain good relationship with the stewards there. )

I asked for permission at a large federal park and was told that recent policy has been handed down that it is not allowed- across the board.

Now, since I did ask very respectfully, I was informed by the HMFIC Ranger that if I happened to know anyone who owned adjacent property, well, then there really wasn't anything he could, or would do if I launched from there. (can you say fpv?)

With that said, I think I have been seen launching from on park property, and since I stayed clear of all people and any potential issues, and I keep as low a profile as possible considering the novelty of the thing, I have no issues yet.

I can guarantee you if somebody complains, or if there should be a malfunction and a crash even remotely close to a person, or if it were to cause even the slightest damage to a monument or attraction, or even the trees and shrubs, then I am sure all bets are off.

I am hyper diligent to not be that guy who gets plastered all over the internet with a Phantom doing something stupic and then carrying the blame when we are all grounded.

iResq said:
As a general rule, I'm a forgiveness kind of guy.

With that said, I want to do some aerial work at the Naval Academy. I think I'll be asking permission for that one!

good luck. pre 9/11 it wouldn't be an issue, now you will be lucky to get on a naval base. I had to go through months of paperwork to get onto the bases around me and thats with all my GSA docs.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic