Army Helicopters

Reaction score
Guys i only have 2 airports in my city. But i live close to a major army base in texas and they always flying helicopters and jets. They fly well under 400 feet. Well under. I know its not gana be easy for my bird to strike with them but if thay pass by am not gana fly my bird a 1000 feet away just so they feel safe. So what is gona happen if they start bit**ching about drones being too close. Keep in mind am no where near the base, nor any helipad or airport.
What are your thoughts
20160216_163820.jpg

You said you live close to a major army base, but then you say you are nowhere near the base? How close are you...?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

You said you live close to a major army base, but then you say you are nowhere near the base? How close are you...?

I saw major becausw i think its like the second biggest in the us.
And am easily 15 miles away.
I can get a better distance for you but its nothing less for sure

Am sorry i worded my self incorrectly. I didnt meam "close to a" i meant "in the same city as"

You should fly responsibly. If you hear them coming, drop altitude and yield. If anything goes wrong you will never win that battle.

Reactions: kptw_pilot
So we have to aby by the rules as registered aircrafts but we get to be treated as a toy?
How about they put some laws on them. Fly over 400

Dont get me wrong. I will yield, what am saying is whats gana happen when they start saying its too close when we say do i flrw away or down etc.

So we have to aby by the rules as registered aircrafts but we get to be treated as a toy?

If you look at maritime law as an example, the more maneuverable vessel has to yield to the lesser. Sailboats must yield to Aircraft carriers, and kayaks must yield to sailboats. So the more maneuverable quad must yield to any helicopters, and helicopters to airplanes.

What is going to happen is they are going to put laws on drones that we can't fly at all if we continue with a defiant attitude.

Reactions: BigAl07

You're kidding....Right?...I hope....Helicopters are designed for low altitude flight. Training for search and rescue always happens at low altitudes......You are a "hobby"...They are for "real"

You are not equal to a manned aircraft.
Compared to them, yes, you are a toy.
If you can't accept that, you probably shouldn't be flying.

Why did you purchase a quadcopter knowing you were in a high density airspace? Find some nice locations 30 minutes or so down the road. Fly safely

Reactions: Sagebrush
What are your thoughts

I'd avoid FPV flights in that area. I know that our little aircraft are tiny, but the batteries we take up in the air are like a brick. I'll guarantee that a brick can take down a helicopter that contacts one in the wrong spot.

Also, military aircraft are "Public Aircraft." They are not regulated by the FAA. The FAA regulates civil (private) and commercial flights.

S

I find it humorous how we as Model Aircraft Operators want to be all big and tough when we talk about flying in national airspace but when it comes to regulations we don't want to fly by them. We want it to be considered a toy when it benefits us but other times we want to be Big Boys and be true aircraft.

You can NOT have it both ways. If you are going to fly in the National Airspace System you have to learn the rules of NAS, learn how to know where you are in the NAS, and understand we are at the bottom of the NAS totem pole.

The way I see it is... if our aircraft is capable of flying more than 100'AGL, it has any form or autonomous flight capabilities, and it is GPS stabilized it should be an aircraft and as such should have to follow all aircraft rules associated with the type and class.

To the OP, do you know what class of Airspace you are trying to fly in? Do you know if it's a Military Operations Area (MOA) or not? Do you happen to check to see if there are any flight restrictions in your area? If you can't positively and correctly answer every one of these questions you are indeed a part of the problem all of us are having to deal with. I am pretty sure the current state of regulations is minimal compared to what will happen when/if there is a UAS to GA/Commercial aircraft strike.

Like it or not we are hobbyists and our small aircraft will always have to give way to manned aircraft regardless if the manned aircraft is in the right or not.

We have helicopters around here that fly maybe 100-150 ft off the ground right in front of my house. They use them to service the power line towers.

Drones aside, maybe one day children will ground aircraft with their kites, frisbees and balls. Thinking about it, I haven't seen an aircraft anywhere near the local park...[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

UK

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik