ARGTEK WiFi Extender Tested

Reaction score
Hello guys,

After 2 weeks putting off, due to bad weather. Today weather was nice and no wind at all. Perfect day to fly my bird. I have the modded ARGTEK wifi installed over 2 weeks ago, I couldn't test much. So today I took this bird out to 6550 feet distance away and I was very impressed. So, with out further ado here is the video.

Nice I was waiting for you to post a video was just on your YouTube page. Thinking about getting a argtek also. But I have to get a extra battery first.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Good to see your post. My results were similar. 6319 feet out at 212 feet in altitude when my signal started getting weak. I am betting that I could have gone farther if my altitude would have been close to 400 feet. That test will have to wait until a good weekend.

Reactions: dirkclod
Good to see your post. My results were similar. 6319 feet out at 212 feet in altitude when my signal started getting weak. I am betting that I could have gone farther if my altitude would have been close to 400 feet. That test will have to wait until a good weekend.
So you think if your altitude was higher you would have gotten a longer distance?

You know something? I shoulda fly like 250-300 feet H, I was always under 175F. Okay next time, I will fly higher, who know maybe that will take me further.

So you think if your altitude was higher you would have gotten a longer distance?

I am guessing that it might were I was flying. I was in the Flint Hills of Kansas, an area of gently rolling hills, very few trees and the closest home is five miles away. I am curious to see if increasing the altitude might improve the connection between the Phantom and the controller.

Reactions: jointeffort
Awesome results.
Best I got was 5300......once.
I have had some pretty crappy weather as well. Waiting for the sky to get a little friendlier.

Reactions: selsi and dirkclod
I changed my antenna out last week to the ARGtek and got a little fly time this weekend, only got out to about 2200 feet (could have been the area that I was flying) has anybody else with this system notice that the signal goes from strong to gone pretty quick ?

Hi guys,
Noob question from me: does the air humidity affects max fly distance?

Yes it does but in strange ways.
2.4gHz is the same as a microwave oven. So if it heats up in a microwave oven? It is a signal absorber.
That being said, it would appear logical that the best day to fly would be 0% humidity. But many flyers report incredible boosts when there is a low layer of ground fog or on heavily overcast days with thick , low cloud cover.
It's a variable and not a predictable one.

Reactions: jeganx
I sorta agree with ya J . I fly just to check for distance and get my best when it's low cloud cover but with high humidity.
Got my best distance right before a rain and when I got out it started to drizzle . Was a long trip back watching the rain drops
hitting the lens .But like you said it's not predictable .
As far as height I think it's what you are using as your antennas . My FPVLR's I have to be high and the other one not .
I just set my sights on 300' and see what that gets me . Is flat here but ya never know what's out there when BLOS .
Every antenna has it's sweet spot according to your location .
Just from what I have seen .

Yep, I agree with you Dirk.
Low cloud cover seems to get me the best results. Kinda like with the old CB days when you could "skip" along with a signal. I usually fly in and around 350 feet alt, that seems to be the best for me where I am at. Like I have said before, I am not looking to go for that super long distance, but where I go I want to be able to "see" where it is at. So I pretty much stay in my zone.

I taken my P3S out with ARGTEK, fitted and started to get transmitter (video) signal fail at a distance of 1000 feet away? The RC signal is a lot higher, but the wifi signal is low.
What kind of distance people are seeing when start to lose wifi signal? Should I push the drone further when the wifi signal low?

I got 9000ft off of a stock RC and a windsurfer. No need for Argtec mod...

1591846f2cafa927172bb7f65702e7be.jpg

Reactions: jeganx
I had mine out yesterday with ARGtek installed.
Got 5100 ft before I got Signal loss to the controller. Had video all the way.

What's the fascination in flying long distance

None. I normally don't do it. I just got this installed and was playing with different configurations of the antennas. Best way to see is take it out distant wise. i got another antenna I want to test for RC signal and then I am done.

I just wanted it for the video range. I was losing video very fast like and the ARGtek system got me the range on the video I was looking for. My concern is that where ever or how far I go, I want to be able to "see" where I am going. It's nice to be able to see when your bird goes into RTH and you can actually watch it turn around. That my friend is a good feeling.

What's the fascination in flying long distance

You will find that you will want more distance under certain situations. Basically people who have done the mod are always comparing distances and getting familiar with what the bird is capable after the mod and certain weather conditions.

Reactions: ninosnicolaou
I installed ARGtek on Friday and flew today for the first time. I was at 380 ft high and 2800 ft out before I started to get the warnings about a weak control signal so I brought it back. I also lost the video feed for a second or two at about the same time. I think I may have been getting some interference from high-power lines that were behind me (maybe 150ft away) that may have impacted the signal as it was moving further away. I need to go to a different place and test the distance again. I am not interested in distance, just a consistent, dependable signals for control and video.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj