ARGtek Mod -- Install and First Flight

Reaction score
After reading several posts on the ARGtek antenna mod -- Both positive and negative -- I decided to give it a go vs. the DBS mod on my P3S. A few reasons:

• ARGtek was less expensive,
  • I didn't want to drill the case in case I decide to revert to original,
  • I like the ease of removal of the three antennas for storage.
Installation was pretty easy and straightforward. Hardest part was cleaning up the silicone around the antenna connections to ensure solid connection of the new lines. Otherwise, cables connected securely (And dabbed with hot glue), I rolled up and zip-tied the internal antenna connections (Leaving the antennas inside), then routed and zip-tied the new lines in the RC and closed her up. Very clean and easily reversible install. Total time - About an hour.

I bought the updated kit with the 10 dBi omnidirectional and 6dBi patch antennas for 5GHz, along with the 7 dBi dual patch antennas for 2.4GHz video/telemetry links. Used the omni on my maiden flight with the new system. Running in my neighborhood that has too many trees and WAY too much RF pollution, I took it up about 150ft altitude and then headed north up the road. Lost sight at about 700 ft downrange due to obstructions (trees), but kept going. Made it to 1800 ft downrange before I lost video & control signals and RTH kicked in. No distance records broken, but not bad at all considering I was lucky to get to the end of my block with the original equipment before the trees and RFI caused problems!

I'll get out to the country this weekend and give it a serious run. However, initial impressions are very positive!

start saving up you will want dbs mod next way better

Gutch: you don't have to drill anything!!! You can get the clean install kit that uses the same antaenna holes.

Oh, sure - NOW you tell me!!! :D

That's okay - I'm new to this adventure, so I'm sure there are plenty of $$$ spent on upgrades and mods in the years to come!

Reactions: ray rokni
Gutch, I'm the same boat as you . I didn't want to drill .. I got my argtek from Amazon same day and I had a $50 crest so it was essentially 25 bux. the dbs was would've been 60 so i decided to see how argtek did especially since i could return it if I didn't like it ( prime) I wish I would've gotten the DBS just to see if it made that much more of a difference but I did manage to more than double my range with the argtek. I just purchased an amp and a patch 14dbi antenna so we will see if I can get a little more out of that.

Reactions: Gutch

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic