Argtek Mod and range VERY limited.

Reaction score
Hi all,

Firstly, id like to say I'm new to droning and have just got my first P3S.

Stupidly while waiting for it to arrive i bought the ArgTek Range extender and fitted it before testing the stock antennae. Don't flame me..... i feel bad enough as it is :(

The issue is, today I took the bird over to a nice large open air park with very little in the way of obstacles or wifi interference (just trees), and lined it up in a direct line of sight and flew away.

I cant remember the altitude but i only managed to get to a distance of about 300ft before losing video signal and the bird wanting to fly home.

Surely 300ft is paltry no? I'm wondering if i should put the stock antennae back in and test it in case i have a defective ArgTek unit. Is there any other way to test?

Also how and where do i download flight logs?

Here is a pic of how far the bird got before losing video signal. You can see its pretty wide open space. Nothing much around to cause interference.

http://carlyoung.co.uk/p3s/rth_range.png

UK BASED
PHANTOM 3 STANDARD
ARGTEK MOD

If you flight with dji go app and android the logs are in this folder
Dji/dji.pilot/flightrecord
You can analyse that log at
Healthydrones.com or at phantomhelp/logviewer/upload

Enviado do meu LG-H955 através de Tapatalk

If you flight with dji go app and android the logs are in this folder
Dji/dji.pilot/flightrecord
You can analyse that log at
Healthydrones.com or at phantomhelp/logviewer/upload

Enviado do meu LG-H955 através de Tapatalk

I'm an apple man in afraid.

Is it the same for iPad/IPhone?

Well I did the same upgrade and my range was boosted by an extra 2-3km and much a strong signal in areas where before i lost signal in short range flights

you probably have the training switch still on, not even sure if thats what you call it, something like beginner mode i believe which limits your distance, correct me if im wrong guys but i think you just uncheck that box

you probably have the training switch still on, not even sure if thats what you call it, something like beginner mode i believe which limits your distance, correct me if im wrong guys but i think you just uncheck that box

I think I'll put the stock rig back on it.

In your opinion should the stock rig fly further than my photo range?

I'm almost 100% sure beginner mode is off.

It limits to 30m and this flies a lot further than that.

As long as it is perfectly inserted, then its should stay. But since it's so small, hot glue is the best precaution.

Did you aim the antenna correctly? 100m is too short for Argtek.

As long as it is perfectly inserted, then its should stay. But since it's so small, hot glue is the best precaution.

As I was purely trying a line of sight range test I used all three paddle antennae not the long straight one.

The two outside ones were pointing down and towards the craft and the middle one pointing up towards the craft.

But to be homest I've also tried them set up the opposite way and it makes zero difference from what I can see.

As I was purely trying a line of sight range test I used all three paddle antennae not the long straight one.

The two outside ones were pointing down and towards the craft and the middle one pointing up towards the craft.

But to be homest I've also tried them set up the opposite way and it makes zero difference from what I can see.
Did you make sure the ufl connector is connected to the right port? P3S have 2 2.4Ghz ports and 1 5.8Ghz port. You don't want that to get mixed up. Otherwise, I think it's not connected properly.

So i replaced the upgraded mod with the stock mod again,

And got a max range of 60m... yep 60M before losing video signal.

It certainly seems something is wrong. Possibly with the actual bird itself.

Any views?

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj