ARGtek 7dbi or 10dbi?

Reaction score
I am about to order the parts needed to do the ARGtek antenna mod but had a few questions I can't seem to google an answer for.

I see they have both a 10dbi and a 7dbi version. Also, the 10dbi pictures, one middle antenna looks longer than another (in the photos on eBay).

Which one is better?

I trust I am making a decent decision here. I know there is the other mod (the ITELITE), but is it really that much better? Seems I will be satisfied with 3x-4x my current range which is what the ARGtek seems to yield.

Thanks for the help.

What range are you getting now?
I thought argtek came with the 10dbi and flat panel now.

I'm also looking into boosting my range. Dbs mod seems to be better than arg from what I've read. Granted this is before they came out with their 10dbi and flat panel

New ARGs come with 7/10db omni 5.8 GHz antennae and the flat 5.8 GHz panel as well. Use the flat center panel if you want to "beam" your signal in the desired direction (max range testing and whatnot) Use the "Omni" style if you are not so concerned with max distance and if you think you might not keep your controller dead on target (flying over your own head).

Remember, those are controller signal antennae only. Chances are great you will lose video long before you outrun the control signal with the UNmodified ARG, moreso with the 10dB stick and/or flat panel. My max with video is ~9000 ft.

Last edited:
I currently have the original 7 dbi. My best range was 2300 feet. I got 2100 with stock and windsurfer. Never had video problems yet with either. My 5.8 panel will be here Monday. Hopefully it works better than my current setup

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The panel arrived today. Yeah it sucks. 1200 feet before RTH. IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE not a house or cell tower nothing for miles and miles. My 7dbi was getting me about 800 now. I think it's time to just go back to the factory antenna and wind surfer.

Garry- don't panic! Troubleshoot. Get a free phone app and scan the area for WiFi interference . Perhaps that will tell us more. Write down info in flight logs, wx , time, barometric. See if you can identify patterns for best flight characteristics. I'll help you. It'll be interesting!

Jeez I'm kind of glad I did not get ARGtek. I ordered the ITELITE DBS antenna and it arrived yesterday!

I'll be installing today/tomorrow so I can get some extra range for some firework viewing this weekend!

I just got mine installed yesterday and its working fine so far.

Attachments

• 20160630_081814.jpg
    20160630_081814.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 765
Thanks man, I appreciate that. I'll hopefully pull the trigger in the next week or so.

I was going back and forth, but it helped every range issue I had. I don't really fly more than 2,500 ft for the most part, but before the mod I was hardly getting 800 before having signal loss issues.

Reactions: NC Drone
New ARGs come with 7/10db omni 5.8 GHz antennae and the flat 5.8 GHz panel as well. Use the flat center panel if you want to "beam" your signal in the desired direction (max range testing and whatnot) Use the "Omni" style if you are not so concerned with max distance and if you think you might not keep your controller dead on target (flying over your own head).

Remember, those are controller signal antennae only. Chances are great you will lose video long before you outrun the control signal with the UNmodified ARG, moreso with the 10dB stick and/or flat panel. My max with video is ~9000 ft.

Stupid Question here... So if you loose your video before the control signal what do you do... Hit the RTH???

Stupid Question here... So if you loose your video before the control signal what do you do... Hit the RTH???

Yep exactly. In my experience, I've lost video and still had control (verified this afterwards with the logs).
So don't assume if you lost video that it will auto-RTH. Just hit the RTH button or toggle the RTH switch and let the thing come back to range.

Yep exactly. In my experience, I've lost video and still had control (verified this afterwards with the logs).
So don't assume if you lost video that it will auto-RTH. Just hit the RTH button or toggle the RTH switch and let the thing come back to range.
Good Afternoon longdog... So is there anyway one can increase the video range besides turning down the video to 1080p or even 720p? How about a good omidirectional antenna (on the drone itself)?

Changing the camera resolution will not do anything to the range.
If we are talking about the P3 Standard, the two side panel antennas are for video and data.
Yes I too seem to lose video before control.
I have a new set of omni rods on order that I hope will boost mine to 1.25 miles.
I question the logic of ordering a $109 antenna add on as opposed to just buying the better Phantom.
But as always, if we knew then what we know now . . . . .

Add sunhans amps and a DBS. You'll be pleased.
Or save up and buy a newer DJI model like the pro/adv or the 4 or the Mavic

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers