Area of coverage at 90 degree angle

Reaction score
Hi brand new to the forum. I will be reviewing an agriculture farm and will be using Litchi pre set waypoints.
By any chance has anybody calculated the area of coverage of the camera when pointing straight down at different altitudes? say 100 square meters when flying at an altitude of 25 meters...thanks!

Hi Nightcap - here is a link I believe will help you out with your GSD (Ground Sampling Distance). You can also download the tool for calculating using Excel - good luck with your shoot at the farm. Is this something you are trying out new as to a business or just a favor?

TOOLS - GSD Calculator

Reactions: Nightcap
wow thanks for the reply eagle!. family owns rice farms, a look from above with simple camera will help a lot.
just started checking for NDVI stuff, however simple view will make great difference!....thks again!

Another way of doing it is simply take a sample 90 degree photo at the typical altitude you will be flying. Then zoom to the same location in Google Earth and measure the distances across the screen that you see on your photo with the G.E. measuring tool. You don't have to take the sample photo at the farm. You can take the sample photo anywhere. While you have it in the air, I would take a photo at a few altitudes just to be able to calculate the area of coverage.

Here is another site that gives some good insight as to calculating - I have a couple of others if I can find them since this was something I was also curious about. Too bad the calculator wouldn't download - for sure your apple platform.

Ground Sampling Distance (GSD)

Since you are an Apple user here is a free app for the P3P that can help you with turning your photos into 3d models (if interested).

Try this calculator: Field of View Calculator
Use Option 1 - Sensor size 36 x 24
Put in 20mm for the lens focal length and select yhe distance you want to calculate for.
Here 50 metres attitude gives 90m x 50m = 5400 sq. m.

i-KP6MxTm.jpg

great thank you all for the help!...checked all of them think easiest used http://www.xdrones.es/aerial-camera-ground-footprint-calculator/
tested different hights and as a gross rule of thumb seems to be twice the hight. at 10 meters it will give you 20m x 20m, at 25 meters a 50m x 50m size (width always considerably larger). that would work for me. suggest you use the calculator for mosaic pictures etc. thanks again!

Reactions: eaglegoaltender

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4