Are there any used drones that are ok to buy?

Reaction score
I just got what I thought was a good deal on a DJI Phantom 2+....however the Assistant software that would enable me to upgrade the firmware and calibrate it is unavailable....Customer Service did give me bad info saying that the App for phone was not available...it turns out that it is available..., however it seems like a corrupted version now....I can actually video and take pictures...but cannot see anything on my telephone screen....and every video turorial says to be sure to upgrade the firmware and to calibrate it every time I use it......I was advised to just try to sell it for parts ...the guy I got it from had bought it new and never did use it at all., so sit is virtually brand new...are there any other brands other than JDI that are considered good quality?...thank you

It's really an older drone that may not work on newer mobile devices with their updates. Generally some of us say not to update. If it's not broken, why update. Updates can cause more problems. I know there are some moderators that are very knowledgeable on your drone and could help. I would say, most of us know the Phantom 3 and newer. You jumped into buying that drone before getting advice from people with more knowledge. It may be like new, which is great, but it is an old working system that may not be compatible in today's world. I do wish you the best and hope someone is able to help you.

I just got what I thought was a good deal on a DJI Phantom 2+....however the Assistant software that would enable me to upgrade the firmware and calibrate it is unavailable....Customer Service did give me bad info saying that the App for phone was not available...it turns out that it is available..., however it seems like a corrupted version now....I can actually video and take pictures...but cannot see anything on my telephone screen....and every video turorial says to be sure to upgrade the firmware and to calibrate it every time I use it......I was advised to just try to sell it for parts ...the guy I got it from had bought it new and never did use it at all., so sit is virtually brand new...are there any other brands other than JDI that are considered good quality?...thank you
There are other brands such as Autel. You can check out their forums by going to the link at the bottom of this page. I have no experience with other brands other than DJI drones.

When I started out with drones, I bought a cheap toy drone just to see what they were all about but they are difficult to fly and may give you a bad first impression. My first real drone was my Phantom 3 Standard which I still fly to this day almost daily. It was bought new and has been rock solid and is almost 4.5yrs old.

My suggestion to you would be to by a new entry level drone like the Mini 2. Yes, you will pay a bit more but you will get a drone that is current, has a warranty and support and the option to get DJI Refresh (basically an insurance plan for your drone). You can often save lots of money buying used but you also need to have some knowledge of what it is you are buying.

Good luck.

Chris

Reactions: MARK (LI)
are there any other brands other than JDI that are considered good quality?...thank you
There are other brands, but there's a reason that DJI has a more than 70% market share.
The Phantom 2+ is positively stone age in drone technology and a real klunker compared to more recent models.

Reactions: dronesky
There are other brands such as Autel. You can check out their forums by going to the link at the bottom of this page. I have no experience with other brands other than DJI drones.

When I started out with drones, I bought a cheap toy drone just to see what they were all about but they are difficult to fly and may give you a bad first impression. My first real drone was my Phantom 3 Standard which I still fly to this day almost daily. It was bought new and has been rock solid and is almost 4.5yrs old.

My suggestion to you would be to by a new entry level drone like the Mini 2. Yes, you will pay a bit more but you will get a drone that is current, has a warranty and support and the option to get DJI Refresh (basically an insurance plan for your drone). You can often save lots of money buying used but you also need to have some knowledge of what it is you are buying.

Good luck.

Chris
I'm like you; fly the P3S more than my P3P. Not sure why I purchased it!

. You jumped into buying that drone before getting advice from people with more knowledge. It may be like new, which is great, but it is an old working system that may not be compatible in today's world. I do wish you the best and hope someone is able to help you.
Thanks...but I did ask about it on this site and was pretty much told to grab it before it got away from me

Hello @MARK (LI) , Hope all is well.
I would say that it all depends on your price point.

I have been playing around with cheap drones for years.
I got a great deal on the Breeze 4K at Walmart a few years back and I am still flying it today.
While browsing OfferUp a few weeks ago, I spotted a listing for a DJI 2 Vision+ for well under $100.
I jumped on the occasion to get a used high end drone.

When I brought it back home, the live video didn't work and from searching online it was a common issue for that model.
But on the upside I was able to capture videos, take some great pictures and fly a high-end drone that used to cost over 1000 new.
It's like having a used truck, you can bang it around and teach your kids and friends how to drive with ease.

I went on ebay and found a listing to fix the WiFi FPV Video Transmission Module for $50
Well, since I paid well under $100 for the DJI 2, the extra $50 didn't seem too bad.
I sent it in but the seller was not able to fix or apply the upgrade on my version 1 module.
The seller offered a full refund with free return shipping.

However, the seller offered a used FPV Video Transmission Module with the vented cover for about $150.
Wow, not what I expected, but again, since I got my drone for well under $100, the $150 still seem plausible.

Well, I took the bait, took a chance, negotiated on the price and now I am back in the air flying my DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ with live Video Feed (Total cost: Under $200)

As I mentioned, it all depends on how much you already put into it and the price point with newer models

All the best to you.

Thank you esimeon...I did get it off the ground here today. although it was very windy...got some video...just can't make sure that I am capturing what I am shooting...where did you find that repair?..any idea if still available?

Thanks...but I did ask about it on this site and was pretty much told to grab it before it got away from me
You asked and received one response 10 mins later and announced you had bought it 3 hours later.
From the response you got, it wasn't even clear that the writer understood that you were asking about the model that was released back in mid-2014.
If you had waited for a few more opinions, you probably would have heard some different opinions on the deal.

Thank you esimeon...I did get it off the ground here today. although it was very windy...got some video...just can't make sure that I am capturing what I am shooting...where did you find that repair?..any idea if still available?
The ebay seller is:
okstuv

Listing:

The software is available, the app for the android phone is available from the link below, the module needs flashing and can be done by me in the UK or by OKSTUV in the states and surrounding areas

software
android app

IOS app works only up to ios 12

You asked and received one response 10 mins later and announced you had bought it 3 hours later.
From the response you got, it wasn't even clear that the writer understood that you were asking about the model that was released back in mid-2014.
If you had waited for a few more opinions, you probably would have heard some different opinions on the deal.
I see what you are saying...but I was afraid any hesitation and I would lose a shot at it.....live and learn

OK...this guy has to be one of the best vendors on Ebay...fantastic communication and very patient

NO.

I h
i haven’t seen a P2 for over 10 years! But plenty of P3, P4’s I don’t think they even have support anymore!

The one I have is 2+ first release in 2014...and you are right...no longer supported

Hey @esimeon ...just want to thank you for providing that information...just got it back and it is now working great.....my first drone, so going to take a little to get used to it......but I got it in the air and took some video...nothing exciting...but good enough for first flights...thank you again...and to the other guys help me get started?

Reactions: esimeon
Glad to hear you got it all sorted out and got your first flight in. Hopefully it will be one of many.

Chris

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4