Are FPVLR stage 3 wires supposed to barely fit...length

Reaction score
I have completed my stage 3 install but the video and Tx connection wires that go to the back right corner are super super tight. In fact you couldn't tighten nut on the one end until the inside connection had been hooked up. I tried every way I could think of short of drilling holes in my phantom to make them fit looser or have more slack. Seems like an extra inch would have been perfect.
In the photos of the bird side on FPVLR they have a big loop on the outside indicating they had plenty of slack. Not the ones I have.

Gonefishing51077 said:
I have completed my stage 3 install but the video and Tx connection wires that go to the back right corner are super super tight. In fact you couldn't tighten nut on the one end until the inside connection had been hooked up. I tried every way I could think of short of drilling holes in my phantom to make them fit looser or have more slack. Seems like an extra inch would have been perfect.
In the photos of the bird side on FPVLR they have a big loop on the outside indicating they had plenty of slack. Not the ones I have.
The wires that came with my kit were just too short. I looked around and found some that are very thin and a foot long. They worked out good as the pictures show in Dirks link. Those were the ones from the camera to the antennas. The other ones from the receiver to the small antenna worked but I cut a small hole in the side of the shell. That can also be seen in Dirks link to the pictures.

Thanks guys.

I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing a step on how this could be installed. Sometimes you study on something so long you can't see the simple answer. The "Trees for the Forest" syndrome. Lol

Glad this forum is here. Lots of great info.

Thanks again

I too had the same problem, had to purchase longer cables. I contacted Tony regarding my concern and he stated they run through the vent holes on the side or drill a hole. I chose not to drill a hole or run the wire through the vent. I wanted them to loop around through the legs and be a cleaner look.

nelly said:
I too had the same problem, had to purchase longer cables. I contacted Tony regarding my concern and he stated they run through the vent holes on the side or drill a hole. I chose not to drill a hole or run the wire through the vent. I wanted them to loop around through the legs and be a cleaner look.
I looked my camera over and no vent holes on the side. Only on the front bottom of camera. When I had mine in that location they drove the RPG into a rattle fit. Moved to upper back of camera and all is well.
Tony's cables are good because they have the correct connector on one end that fits the cable inside the camera. I had to make an adapter by soldering two circuit board type U.fl connectors back to back for the inside camera connection.

Not following what you mean by "camera" the phantom has vent holes in the sides (bottom half of shell) that the only way I could get the wires to fit and be long enough was to drill a hole in the shell or run through one of the vent slots. I chose not to do either and purchase longer cables

nelly said:
Not following what you mean by "camera" the phantom has vent holes in the sides (bottom half of shell) that the only way I could get the wires to fit and be long enough was to drill a hole in the shell or run through one of the vent slots. I chose not to do either and purchase longer cables
Ooooops! I was thinking about the FPV improvement and not the receiver. As pics show, I did a small notch in shell to get mine outside to the antennas. Now, with both eyes open, I see what he ment.

Ah! Now I have both eyes open and have them focused. We are in the + mod area and mine is the non +. Also I have the small holders for the sma connectors. Good idea on the expoy on those U.fl connectors.
Looks good, Tony.

Hey gonefishing, I just posted pics of my install in another thread: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=33027
I put one of each frequency on each side, but had to drill a hole into the vents.
Tony: where did you get that new plastic mounting piece? Are you selling those? Every time I order from you I see a new improved version of what I just got a few days later!

FPVLR said:
I was going to replace the older version on monday with this new integral version.
So what I will do is I will give the new version starting from today, the old version is phased out.

FWIW, I prefer the original brackets you've been offering. Actually have another set coming my way.

Since your laser cutting these, why not offer both?

I agree to offer both. Its great you are always improving, was just giving you a hard time. Does the new version get hit by the prop wash a lot? Any extra noise or other consequences?

FPVLR said:
it's just as wide as the battery bay without the battery mounted in it.

You should see the Inspire 1 how much area at the leg joint is directly under the propeller.
Good point thanks for the quick reply. While I have your attention... Can you post a pic of how you normally position the horizontal antennas? I could be imagining things, but the phantom sounds noticeably louder with the prop wash going through the cloverleafs. I repositioned them to be closer to the body/more under the arm and I think it sounds a little better, but I worry about signal attenuation from any metal or the motors.

Ahhhh. I actually almost asked you once what exactly the idea of the one vertical and one horizontal antenna. Question then: if I am trying get absolute max lateral distance, say at 500 ft altitude, then would replacing the horizontal antennas with two more vertical antennas help any? Would flying with only one each of the vertical antennas (to save weight) hurt any in term to long range?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub