Are Fly-Aways only possible in GPS Mode?

Reaction score
Are Fly-Aways only possible in GPS Mode? Is manual mode the only way to recover from a fly-away?

I would say most of the fly-aways you here off are from compass issues or bad pilot errors.

If your heli starts going crazy turn off you gps and fly in manual/atti mode and fly back safe.

NEVER turn off your transmitter when flying this your safety line between you and your bird!

fly safe!!

Carl4 said:
Are Fly-Aways only possible in GPS Mode? Is manual mode the only way to recover from a fly-away?

a faulty GPS is just one of many possible scenario's that result in a flyaway, in which case switching to ATTI would prevent that.
however if it's the IMU (stuck gyro) that might be at fail, then your only source of recovering is switching to manual mode.

But then there's RC interference, (which is what I think happened to me), in which my quad wasn't responding at all to commands and took off with a "mind of it's own " (a common description of many flyways, which are by no means caused by user-error)

Gizmo3000 said:
But then there's RC interference, (which is what I think happened to me), in which my quad wasn't responding at all to commands and took off with a "mind of it's own " (a common description of many flyways, which are by no means caused by user-error)

Did the new firmware update take care of that problem?

I remember seeing a video that mentioned something about if a radio control input doesn't change at all for so many seconds, the Phantom knows that it is not a human and it ignores that stronger signal.

From my experience a GPS failure is indeed a typical reason for a fly away. If you are on a RTH and it goes <6 satellites it will start drifting with the wind. If wind is >6m/s it will be gone really quick! The strange thing is that it is not certain it will continue to fly to home location if/when it get >6 satellites, It will rather decent or fly to a "new" Home location.
I advice everyone to use these sites before take off!
http://satpredictor.navcomtech.com
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/SWN/index.html
Switching S1 to ATTI or manual and fly home with FPV or LOS is a pretty good option. RTH is great when satellites are reliable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic