Are carbon fiber props more fragile?

ebf

Reaction score
Hey all,

Went to fly yesterday - first time using the carbon fiber props from dji. All went well. Flew inside my living room and felt the props turning differently on the motors. Maybe a little bit more snuggle than the plastic ones?

Went today for a flight again. As I was twisting the props, I felt one of the props get stuck on the motor. I didn't twist no more than 1/4 of a turn yet. Since I'm still learning, I decided to swap to the plastic ones. All went fine.

As I got home, I went to check my carbon fiber props. This is what I found:

42c5f85c71f276f47107ff9e1d480825.jpg

I normally twist my props until the motor turns with the prop. After that I hold the motor and twist a little bit more (almost 1/4 of a turn). I don't try to do it too hard, after reading so much around here.

Are the carbon fiber props more fragile then? I'm tossing these out and I won't try my luck.

Thanks,

- ebf.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Seen lots of people on amazon reviews saying that theyre more rigid, but also more fragile.
although they look cool, i am not going to risk them breaking in midair and having my drone fall from the sky. I might suggest painting the original blades with a light coat (just enough to cover white) if youre going for the cool factor.

I'm using DJI cf props from day one and never faced any issue.

Reactions: Dounin Front
Id say thise props are likley carbon fibre impregnated plastic rather than carbon fibre weave cloth and resin. You may get some increased stiffness but probably not appreciable. And the treads almost certainly have greatly reduced give and will be prone to break. As you have demonstrated. I think they are a wank, others swear by them. for my miney i feel comfortable with the dji standard.

Bought my DJI CF's for the color, weight, sound and strength.
I like the color, although I had already painted my OEM props by then.
They are actually slightly heavier than the OEM white props.
I found them no quieter, but deeper sounding.
They are a stiffer material, but I hope I never have to find out how strong they are.
Net takeaway is save your money and stick with DJI OEM props. (IMO)
Most of all - don't crash!

I don't think it's worth the risk for little benefit and all these questions.
I'm not sure about a risk since they are DJI props and they have been available for at least a year now, but I certainly agree that their benefit is in question.
They are what I'm running however and there have been no problems so far.
Painting my white props worked equally well though.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31