Are 9.5 inch props ok?

Reaction score
I was wondering if 9.5 inch carbon fibre props with graupner profile are ok in the DJI Phantom with Zenmuse Gimbal ?

Someone is telling me they are ok, but won't they cause some overheating issues with the ESC's?

-Frank

I think you mean 9x5 props.
I use 9x5s on the Phantom as do others. No issues.

More lift.
If your Phantom is stock then the stock props are fine. As you increase the weight the props have to spin faster to maintain a hover. Eventually you get to a point where the props are spinning at 100% of their maximum and you can't lift the weight.
Larger props give more lift for any given RPM but take more power to spin.

rilot said:
More lift.
If your Phantom is stock then the stock props are fine. As you increase the weight the props have to spin faster to maintain a hover. Eventually you get to a point where the props are spinning at 100% of their maximum and you can't lift the weight.
Larger props give more lift for any given RPM but take more power to spin.

Excellent reply, thanks for that.

rilot said:
I think you mean 9x5 props.
I use 9x5s on the Phantom as do others. No issues.

What is meant by '9x5' anyway? They are 9 inch props right? And the standard DJI props are 8 inch ?

With the Zenmuse gimbal attached, is 9x5 good to use?

-Frank

As I said, 9x5 props are fine.
A quick qoogle would have brought up links that explain what the different number mean.

The 9 is the diameter of the prop in inches
The 5 is the pitch of the blades and means how many inches through the air a prop will go (assuming no resistance and no craft attached to it) for each revolution

The larger the diameter, the higher the moment of inertia and the higher the swept blade surface. The larger the pitch, the harder the propeller is to move through the air, but the more air it moves.

Calculating the correct diameter and pitch isn't an exact science and takes a lot of time and and trial and error with different sizes.

If you aren't sure, use the DJI stock propellers. They are fine for most cases.

I bought the 10 inch new props DJI has for the Flame wheel and cut them to 8.5 inch and then balanced them. They work fine.

Is there a recommended 9" prop for the phantom? APC/Gemfan/something else? What are you guys using?

rilot said:
Graupner 9x5 or GWS 9.5 tri-blades if you want to lift more weight.

Thanks, the GWS look like a good option. I notice you're running dual batteries with a gimbal + camera on your Phantom. How do you like it? What kind of flight times are you getting?

9 inches are the largest you can fit on a phantom before the props hit the shell and possibly eachother, I am loving the GWS 9050 triblades as I fly pretty heavy up to 1.3kg for my hero3 black 3D FPV setup.

tbiz.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShtVGPx09KA[/youtube]

Are you running stock motors with this 3D, FPV - Triblade set up?

PJA said:
Are you running stock motors with this 3D, FPV - Triblade set up?

Im using tiger motors mt-2216 kv900 motors, a little more efficient then stock motors and it uses a 5mm round prop shaft so easier to try other props. I have tried a few props and these give me the best performance and flight times so I am sticking with them, would like some stiffer versions of the same props but even being a bit too soft I prefer them over others I have tried due to the extra lift they give me.

A few guys use these on stock motors and if you are getting a little heavy on your setup some 9 inch props are defintalty the way to go. Either some stiff regular props or these triblades if your looking for max lift, in theory triblades are less efficient but a heavy phantom is under propped badly using stock 8 inch props and even against regular 2 blade 9 inch props these give a bit more lift. If your needing very high rpm to just lift the phantom then it will drain the battery very quickly. More lift needs less rpm and even though they will use more power at full throttle you dont need to use full throttle anywhere near as much as when you have much less lift.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20