Arctic flight attempt

Reaction score
I'm working in the high Arctic for the next few weeks and decided to take my P3A with me to video some of this amazing landscape. Tonight I had an opportunity to shoot a massive iceberg floating past a couple hundred meters offshore. I calibrated the compass and had to do it a second time as it indicated it failed. I had a good to fly light with 15 satellites and took off. I got half way to the berg when the calibrate compass light came on and it was flying eratic. I had a hard time bringing it in with a mere 20km/hr wind. Not sure if I'm to far north for the compass to work properly or there's to much mineral in the surrounding rock. I haven't upgraded firmware yet as all worked great Any thoughts.

I'm working in the high Arctic for the next few weeks and decided to take my P3A with me to video some of this amazing landscape. Tonight I had an opportunity to shoot a massive iceberg floating past a couple hundred meters offshore. I calibrated the compass and had to do it a second time as it indicated it failed. I had a good to fly light with 15 satellites and took off. I got half way to the berg when the calibrate compass light came on and it was flying eratic. I had a hard time bringing it in with a mere 20km/hr wind. Not sure if I'm to far north for the compass to work properly or there's to much mineral in the surrounding rock. I haven't upgraded firmware yet as all worked great Any thoughts.
I think you may be in uncharted territory-- :rolleyes:-- someone will chime in here--- keep us posted and send some videos if you get everything working right.:):)

Reactions: acherman
DJI says that it can't operate in polar areas. The high Arctic is getting pretty close, so my guess is that you are pushing the envelope with the compass.

I would also LOVE to see video!

Reactions: JoBe
I was afraid of that. I'm 400 kms north of the Arctic circle. I have a compass on my watch and it is all over the place. I thought it was due to the minerals in the rock here( zinc, lead, iron and more. I'm a little more than disappointed as the icebergs are the size of apt. bldgs. and very close to shore. Don't want to risk a dip in the Arctic Ocean to join the Franklin expedition.

Reactions: IvanZterrible
I'm curious (and very jealous at the same time:DWould looooooove to visit the Arctic)...

I assume you were flying in GPS mode since you mentioned the 15 satts. If you fly in Atti you shouldn't have compass problems, since (as far as I understand) Atti takes both the GPS and Compass out of the mix... Or have I got it all wrong?

Correct. I am flying GPS. So Atti will take both out of the picture? I thought compass was necessary even without GPS.

Correct. I am flying GPS. So Atti will take both out of the picture? I thought compass was necessary even without GPS.
I believe he is right-- no gps-- no compass-- temperature and wind would be your concerns. maybe blade strike or one of the other DJI guys will weigh in on this new venture

Wind and temp. is not a concern as it is 13c and sunny here today(and tonight with 24/hr daylight) and the winds are light.

Wind and temp. is not a concern as it is 13c and sunny here today(and tonight with 24/hr daylight) and the winds are light.
Sounds perfect! do some short range testing.

Reactions: Ferdi
You have 24 hours of daylight! sounds like to me you need to be performing some valuable Phantom Experiments.:D

I would switch to Atti just before takeoff, and fly around over ice/ground for a bit to test. Good luck and if possible upload some video/photos. Would be awesome to see where you're flyin':D

How high in the arctic are you? I'm in Iqaluit, NU and have only run in to this issue once.
I did some googling earth on the place where you live. What a truly amazing place. But how can you live in such a remote spot on this earth. Only snow and rock, not a single tree or strand of grass.
Truly amazing and awesome.

Reactions: ScottyT
I did some googling earth on the place where you live. What a truly amazing place. But how can you live in such a remote spot on this earth. Only snow and rock, not a single tree or strand of grass.
Truly amazing and awesome.
Been here now since 2002. It's not that bad where I am, although I don't think I could handle living in the smaller remote communities here. Life here is a little slower, the people here are good and friendly with a couple bad apples. It definitely has its moments, and does require some adjusting when you move here. We're in the summer months and the snow has melted with some sea ice that blew in a couple of weeks ago. Mosquitos are at full force. Most days it's been +5 celcius to a sweltering +17. The days are getting shorter and Winter is on it's way again, come November we'll have 9 to 10 hours daylight. We have grass(no lawns to mow though), dwarf birch trees and dandelions. Someday I will move back to a southern climate.

Get the compass calibrated close to where you will fly. Make sure it's away from ferrous rock. Use a phone app to read the flux levels. A couple feet off the ground at least. No metal nearby. Set it up so you can use ATTI mode if needed. If it gets squirrelly, switch to ATTI and be prepared to compensate for wind.

according to a few topics created some are putting their quads in the freezer to fix certain things. So, you should have 0 problems. jk...

Been here now since 2002. It's not that bad where I am, although I don't think I could handle living in the smaller remote communities here. Life here is a little slower, the people here are good and friendly with a couple bad apples. It definitely has its moments, and does require some adjusting when you move here. We're in the summer months and the snow has melted with some sea ice that blew in a couple of weeks ago. Mosquitos are at full force. Most days it's been +5 celcius to a sweltering +17. The days are getting shorter and Winter is on it's way again, come November we'll have 9 to 10 hours daylight. We have grass(no lawns to mow though), dwarf birch trees and dandelions. Someday I will move back to a southern climate.

Thanks a lot for your brief answer what it is to live in a place like yours.
That 's what I like also on these forums. You will come in contact with people at the far end of the word ( from my viewpoint off course) but with a common hobby/interesse.

But can you fly safely over there, is it allowed because as I saw on google maps you are almost surrounded by the airport and your local roads extend not that far from the airport.

Happy flying!

How high in the arctic are you? I'm in Iqaluit, NU and have only run in to this issue once.
I'm in Nanisivik. Fly into Arctic Bay and drive over the longest road in Nunavut (35kms.) Definitely problems flying with the compass. Tried again late last night with the compass/GPS active and same results. Wind is up today but when it drops I'll give it a hook with Atti. BTW I am 1250 kms. north of Iqaluit.

I'm going to Svalbard (latitude up to about 80N) next summer. Hope it works at least a little. What's your lat/plan?
We are 73n and 84w. It's considered the eastern Arctic. I would not expect you'll have much better luck than I have.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair