Applying lens profile "geometry corrections" to images before stitching/uploading?

GDS

Reaction score
Does any one do this? (e.g. fix all images in Photoshop RAW, by setting "lens corrections" to apply the DJI Phantom camera lens profile image geometry correction).
I need to know, does doing all this extra work make a 2D Drone Deploy or Precision Mapper map any more accurate/precise?
Thanks in advance to anyone who has tried/tested this.

Does any one do this? (e.g. fix all images in Photoshop RAW, by setting "lens corrections" to apply the DJI Phantom camera lens profile image geometry correction).
I need to know, does doing all this extra work make a 2D Drone Deploy or Precision Mapper map any more accurate/precise?
Thanks in advance to anyone who has tried/tested this.
If you are flying a dronedeploy mapping mission, just shoot jpg.
The accuracy will come from the orthophoto software used.

Yes, I'm hoping that straight JPGs will be good with Drone Deploy when I finally try it.
I have just tried mapping a golf course using Litchi waypoint mission and Photomerging in Photoshop CC, but when overlaying the resulting image onto a Google Earth image for checking, things aren't spot on.
Do you have any idea if Drone Deploy reads the camera EXIF data and applies intelligent individual image geometry corrections?

Yes, I'm hoping that straight JPGs will be good with Drone Deploy when I finally try it.
I have just tried mapping a golf course using Litchi waypoint mission and Photomerging in Photoshop CC, but when overlaying the resulting image onto a Google Earth image for checking, things aren't spot on.
Do you have any idea if Drone Deploy reads the camera EXIF data and applies intelligent individual image geometry corrections?

If you don't need to do anything very extensive and you don't need super detail, there is a quick and easy way that has worked for me--without using mapping software, etc.. Fly high enough to minimize distortion--so that the view the lens "sees" is as straight down as possible, rather than seeing to both sides.(I hope this description isn't confusing). Record the flight as a video, trying to fly as straight as possible, and fly additional legs as parallel as possible. I then play back the video using VLC, taking screen shots as it plays--leaving plenty of overlap. I then input the frames to Lightroom and use the Lens correction feature. I then use Lightroom's merge feature. It seems to do the job reasonably well and gets me the image I want. As for taking the result and overlaying it onto Google Earth--I have no idea if it would be good enough. I would assume that if the golf course was relatively flat without many tall trees, it might work fine. If the course is very hilly with lots of tall trees (very three dimensional) it might not work...

Thanks for your input inward, interesting.
Problem is, for this job I need highest possible resolution so need to shoot stills (no problem). The other problem is the golf course is VERY hilly with mountainous (200m high) surroundings! So yes, I need to fly at 500m altitude.
I will try stitching in Lightroom instead of Photoshop tonight, see if that makes any difference.
Photomerging in PS with "Geometry Correction" turned on seems to improve accuracy, increases processing time by a factor of 10 though. My 36 image test takes over an hour to process on a powerful i7 64GB SSD machine. The whole golf course complex will need over 200 images stitched to make the final result!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr