Apple iPad 2 16GB Wi-Fi good enough for P4?

Reaction score
I have one laying around that I don't use. Wondering if it is good option. I also have a 12.9 iPad Pro 128 GB and also 6s Plus 64GB that are obviously newer (faster), but wondering if the iPad 2 would be acceptable from a performance perspective. If so, and since it is only 16GB, I would re-initialize and only install the DJI and Litchi apps along with B4UFly and Airmap apps. Thoughts?

Plan on using the Go 4 app as well as Litchi. Newbie. Have yet to actually fly the P4. Getting my confidence and knowledge up by reading manual and viewing Youtube videos.

You need at least the A7 CPU for iOS, which comes in the iPad Mini2. I believe the iPad2 has the A5 CPU, which is non compatible.

The iPad Mini2 works good, but it will overheat in temps over 90F, without a case installed (important to fly without case).

When you get up to the A8 CPU (iPad Mini4, iPad Air2), that processor runs on less power, it's cool enough to work OK in ambient temps up to 100F (that's as hot as I've been able to test).

Last edited:
I have one laying around that I don't use. Wondering if it is good option. I also have a 12.9 iPad Pro 128 GB and also 6s Plus 64GB that are obviously newer (faster), but wondering if the iPad 2 would be acceptable from a performance perspective. If so, and since it is only 16GB, I would re-initialize and only install the DJI and Litchi apps along with B4UFly and Airmap apps. Thoughts?

Plan on using the Go 4 app as well as Litchi. Newbie. Have yet to actually fly the P4. Getting my confidence and knowledge up by reading manual and viewing Youtube videos.
I also use the iPad mini 2 (retina), it connects solidly every time, and it's fast enough to do what's required of it. You can't go wrong. Cheers

I also use the iPad mini 2 (retina), it connects solidly every time, and it's fast enough to do what's required of it. You can't go wrong. Cheers
Well, not everywhere. I would not recommend an iPad Mini2 for someone living in Phoenix or Vegas. You wouldn't be able to fly in the summer, unless you flew from inside your car with the air conditioning running :cool:

Reactions: hotashes
Use the Ipad mini 2 and have had not issues connecting to my P3P or my P4. Have not experienced the over heating issues that some complain of either.

User experience can vary dependings GO app settings (some options are more CPU demanding) and the device itself that might run some consuming background tasks at the same time depending installed apps and their respective settings. iDevice is reputed managing well background processes but some app can still be very active in background.

If you wanna use it as dedicated device look for iOS full factory reset so it get clean.

So if you use lower than A7 you are more exposed to problems as less power buffer. Also per example some DJI function such as hardware decode are not supported by old processors but user don't see any difference until using standard real time video feed setting.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4