Appeal for help to GoPro owners

Reaction score
Bonjour

I need to know if the GoPro will record video to the SD card whilst, at the same time, outputting a live view from its HDMI port to a TV or other monitor. This will necessitate connecting the GoPro to a video display using an HDMI cable with a micro-HDMI plug on one end and a standard HDMI plug on the other.

Is there anyone out there who has such a cable and who could tell me if the GoPro will function like that?

Many thanks

I'm pretty sure I've tested that and it works, I'll dig out my HDMI cable for it and check again in a min if nobody else confirms before then.

However, based on your other thread, I think what you'll need to check is whether the GoPro will output video to the HDMI port when it's also connected to the Zenmuse gimbal via the large multifunction port (slot) on the back of the camera. It's the same port that feeds video to the gopro "backpack" screen accessory (and that's probably the best tool to test this short of hooking it up to a Zenmuse).

OI Photography said:
I'm pretty sure I've tested that and it works, I'll dig out my HDMI cable for it and check again in a min if nobody else confirms before then.

However, based on your other thread, I think what you'll need to check is whether the GoPro will output video to the HDMI port when it's also connected to the Zenmuse gimbal via the large multifunction port (slot) on the back of the camera. It's the same port that feeds video to the gopro "backpack" screen accessory (and that's probably the best tool to test this short of hooking it up to a Zenmuse).

Does that port on the back of the camera have to be connected though? I've never handled one, nor seen one to be honest, and so I have no idea how they work

Peter Evans said:
OI Photography said:

Does that port on the back of the camera have to be connected though? I've never handled one, nor seen one to be honest, and so I have no idea how they work

There would be no way to place it into the zenmuse without connecting it.

Shrimpfarmer said:
Peter Evans said:
OI Photography said:

There would be no way to place it into the zenmuse without connecting it.

OK, just looking at the GoPro and Zenmuse manuals, I see a thin vertical projection on the left side of the Zenmuse which obviously mates with the thin vertical slot on the left of the GoPro's back. What's to stop me putting something like a piece of thin plastic across the Zenmuse mount there (obviously with something on the other side to keep it level) to stop the connection, and then using longer screws to fix the 'clip thing' holding the camera to the mount? The camera is in capture mode the minute it's powered on, right? So, surely, that connector is there purely for the video feed. Or does it do something else, such as provide power to the GoPro?

The HDMI connector on the side of the Hero3 should have live output. It's live on the Hero2. You can route a very thin cable to it and then rebalance as needed.

ianwood said:
The HDMI connector on the side of the Hero3 should have live output. It's live on the Hero2. You can route a very thin cable to it and then rebalance as needed.

But, referring back to my post above, is it live when the Hero is actually connected to the Zenmuse? In other words, would I have no need to try and find a way not to connect the camera?

Oh and, don't worry, the cable on the Dronexpert RX100 mount is VERY thin! :D

It powers the gopro and supplies the video out. Keep in mind the gopro has to run continuously from lift off to landing. The battery life is not great and I find that sometimes if I leave my gopro attached to the gimbal the battery goes flat. If that happens the only option I have is to power up the quad, then turn on the gopro and start a recording. I hate doing that because you should not really be touching it once the gimbal is alive.

I see what your thinking, use a thin plastic film to prevent the connection. Some clingfilm would probably do the trick, hopefully if you leave enough overlay it would pull back out of the slot easy enough.

I would look for a better way to disconnect it. You definitely do not want a partial or intermittent connection. It's possible the Zenmuse can be opened and the connected removed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31