Aperture in auto mode (don't!!)

Reaction score
Not that I would recommend using auto anything when it comes to cameras, but I noticed the aperture changes in the auto mode on the P4's camera are horribly noticeable; flickering as it closes or opens its aperture. This type aperture 'stepping' is found on cheaper sports cameras - Disappointing as the image quality is generally not that bad in 4K. I would always set ISO/Shutter and aperture to manual mode for my blocked-out shots, the image looks much, much better.

Reactions: mmee1992
There's no aperture in the camera. It's fixed at f/2,8. That's the rolling shutter, and it's quite similar to go pro cameras. If you want to shoot really awesome video, it shouldn't be in full auto at all.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Is this what you are talking about "realsting"? I have noticed some weird graininess and weird exposure artifacts when I pan the camera up or down while flying over certain terrain or places. Also it seems to happen in all different types of lighting but if I change to 1080p60 then it won't do it anymore. What would you recommend to make this stop? Is it best to put everything into manual mode? Still kind of a newbie when it comes to framing shots and lighting. It's weird too because I haven't ever seen this at all on my GoPro Hero4 Black when flying with my 3DR Solo. I would be very grateful for any pointers, thank you.

Is this what you are talking about "realsting"? I have noticed some weird graininess and weird exposure artifacts when I pan the camera up or down while flying over certain terrain or places. Also it seems to happen in all different types of lighting but if I change to 1080p60 then it won't do it anymore. What would you recommend to make this stop? Is it best to put everything into manual mode? Still kind of a newbie when it comes to framing shots and lighting. It's weird too because I haven't ever seen this at all on my GoPro Hero4 Black when flying with my 3DR Solo. I would be very grateful for any pointers, thank you.
It's kind of hard to see in the video because it isn't full resolution but if you look down at the grass, it just looks like there is this weird shadow going across the grass and it's like it's flashing to get the exposure right. Let me know if you can't see it and I will try to post a better video.

Auto or manual ?
Style or custom
sharp/contrast/saturation?
Shutter speed and fps?
Any filters used?

Hard to guess the problem with zero information.

I figured a video of the issue and an explanation of the problem was quite a bit of information, not zero information. You can keep that guess to yourself "Air Ontario" if you can't do it without being a smart ***.

Everything was in auto and it seems to be the worst when filming in 2160p30 or 2160p24. No filters or changed settings. Never encountered this with my GP Hero4 Black on Auto with either my P3 or my 3DR Solo.

I figured a video of the issue and an explanation of the problem was quite a bit of information, not zero information. You can keep that guess to yourself "Air Ontario" if you can't do it without being a smart ***.

Everything was in auto and it seems to be the worst when filming in 2160p30 or 2160p24. No filters or changed settings. Never encountered this with my GP Hero4 Black on Auto with either my P3 or my 3DR Solo.
I can't guess your shutter speed or your FPS close enough from the video to help you. Nor can I guess your settings on sharpness contrast or saturation close enough although I have an idea.

You sir have a nice day and you won't now get any help from me. Better a smart *** than a ******* right?

It's kind of hard to see in the video because it isn't full resolution but if you look down at the grass, it just looks like there is this weird shadow going across the grass and it's like it's flashing to get the exposure right. Let me know if you can't see it and I will try to post a better video.
Hi evryan, what I can see in your video is more like a moire affect where the patterning on the grass causes issues with the sensor. This is quite normal for camera like the Phantoms. Many DSLR's had these issues such as the Canon 5Dmk2 etc.. So I wouldn't think it's something to be worried about on our Phantoms!

I didn't notice any stepping of the aperture though.. Or should I say of the image brightness, as bradbrok quite rightly pointed out the P4 has a fixed aperture.

Having thought about this since my original posting, it's more likely the shutter or a combination of auto EV'ing and shutter as these were (deliberately) left in auto to see how the camera would perform. I would advise set to manual and take a note of your camera settings see what works for your environmental conditions.

However, if you want reliable decent images I would NEVER recommend using auto anything. Some people like to use auto white balance but even with this, if you move the camera the lighting will change inevitably so set camera settings to MANUAL before commencing any shooting:

Take the camera up, start off in auto if you wish to get ballpark settings, switch to manual and adjust accordingly.. Then Press Record!

Last edited:
Maybe you should have asked him what settings he used rather than berate him for not providing them in the first place.

Reactions: evryan
I can't guess your shutter speed or your FPS close enough from the video to help you. Nor can I guess your settings on sharpness contrast or saturation close enough although I have an idea.

You sir have a nice day and you won't now get any help from me. Better a smart *** than a ******* right?

seems like folks have been cranky in the forms lately. yikes!

Reactions: randykahl
Maybe you should have asked him what settings he used rather than berate him for not providing them in the first place.
Do you always play the victim?

Seriously?
I did ask in order to help him. Your interpretation of ANY inference is due to your own interpretation as it was his.

Do you always play the victim?

Seriously?
I did ask in order to help him. Your interpretation of ANY inference is due to your own interpretation as it was his.
These people are too **** sensitive. You asked a simple couple of questions trying to be helpful.

Not that I would recommend using auto anything when it comes to cameras, but I noticed the aperture changes in the auto mode on the P4's camera are horribly noticeable; flickering as it closes or opens its aperture. This type aperture 'stepping' is found on cheaper sports cameras - Disappointing as the image quality is generally not that bad in 4K. I would always set ISO/Shutter and aperture to manual mode for my blocked-out shots, the image looks much, much better.
If you fly in auto mode it will do those things. if you want your video to look better you will want to fly in manual mode on the lowest iso setting and turn off auto white balance. You should also use ND filters to combat rolling shutter effect which is present on some higher end cameras as well.

Also this is a pretty good video about camera settings on the inspire and the P4 sensor is pretty much the same so this should help you out. This guys videos always look pretty **** good so I would trust his advice.

Reactions: Patrick
If you fly in auto mode it will do those things. if you want your video to look better you will want to fly in manual mode on the lowest iso setting and turn off auto white balance. You should also use ND filters to combat rolling shutter effect which is present on some higher end cameras as well.
Thank you for your post mmee1992 but my original post is not about the pros and cons of manual vs auto (I already know this as its my job to know it [emoji846]) but more about the performance of the P4's camera. My GoPro H3B Behaves differently under the same conditions.

Last edited:
Thank you for your post mmee1992 but my original post is not about the pros and cons of manual vs auto (I already know this as its my job to know it [emoji846]) but more about the performance of camera. My GoPro H3B Behaves differently under the same conditions.
Well, until you can find a way to mount your GoPro to your P4 I am trying to offer you solutions to get the most out of the camera that you have.

Hi evryan, what I can see in your video is more like a moire affect where the patterning on the grass causes issues with the sensor. This is quite normal for camera like the Phantoms. Many DSLR's had these issues such as the Canon 5Dmk2 etc.. So I wouldn't think it's something to be worried about on our Phantoms!

I didn't notice any stepping of the aperture though.. Or should I say of the image brightness, as bradbrok quite rightly pointed out the P4 has a fixed aperture.

Having thought about this since my original posting, it's more likely the shutter or a combination of auto EV'ing and shutter as these were (deliberately) left in auto to see how the camera would perform. I would advise set to manual and take a note of your camera settings see what works for your environmental conditions.

However, if you want reliable decent images I would NEVER recommend using auto anything. Some people like to use auto white balance but even with this, if you move the camera the lighting will change inevitably so set camera settings to MANUAL before commencing any shooting:

Take the camera up, start off in auto if you wish to get ballpark settings, switch to manual and adjust accordingly.. Then Press Record!

Sounds great, thank you so much for your help. I just had a short flight where I adjusted more of the manual settings and it seems to be coming out a lot better. I'm learning though :) Thanks again for helping me out "realsting", i am very grateful and it feels good to know that some of you wise and experienced guys will help out a newbie. I apologize if I got "Air Ontario"s panties all twisted up on your post.

These people are too **** sensitive. You asked a simple couple of questions trying to be helpful.
Well, in all fairness, I went back and reread my post.
I can see that my short post in order to get the necessary info to expound on his issue, was in fact blunt and to the point, although for totally different reasons than interpreted by at least two folk.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4