Anyway to drain the battery without flying?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum but nice been reading a lot over the past week. My lovely wife bought me a P3S for my birthday but I haven't flown it yet properly yet (nowhere safe to fly as I love close to an airport).

Question is - other than flying the drone? Is there anyway to safely discharge the battery? I think I read somewhere that you shouldn't leave it charged for a long time?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: With The Birds
Easy way to discharge it if you dont want it to self discharge is to connect up a 12v car headlamp to the terminals. (2 spades) and then switch on battery.

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum but nice been reading a lot over the past week. My lovely wife bought me a P3S for my birthday but I haven't flown it yet properly yet (nowhere safe to fly as I love close to an airport).

Question is - other than flying the drone? Is there anyway to safely discharge the battery? I think I read somewhere that you shouldn't leave it charged for a long time?

You can set auto discharge to 1 day in the app. Default is 10 days if I remember correctly. You can also buy dischargers, ones using an incandescent globe ad the load are cheap. If you leave a lipo fully charged for a year it looses up to 40% of its capacity. 40 to 60 % is good.

Thank you both!

You can find dischargers sold on Amazon and eBay which are designed for your battery. They use a 35 watt bulb to bring the battery down to a safe storage level. It has a second mode which will do a deep discharge. Hope this helps.

Reactions: jamesb72
I'd be very careful just connecting a bulb direct to battery, if you overdischarge you will seriously reduce the lifespan of the expensive battery, or worse (lipos swell/burst when overdischarged).

The amazon dischargers are cheap enough and cut off at set voltages, so much better, just be careful to clip the bulb somewhere safe as they get very hot, and could damage the battery or your furniture !

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl