Anyone with P2V external USB on RC?

Reaction score
I read somewhere that the latest P2V has a USB port on the back of the RC for updating. Does anyone have a Phantom 2 Vision with the RC and the USB port for firmware updates?

I purchased a P2V and a P2. The P2 controller has external USB, while the one with the Vision is internal.

Only the people with lots of spare time who have installed on themselves! What is the point, really?

Count said:
Only the people with lots of spare time who have installed on themselves! What is the point, really?

because we're bored and it's raining? :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 626
That is good enough for me, Studio! I figured I will spend that time installing bullet connectors on all of my motors, so I can easilly swap motors and do some testing! Nothing beats a little quiet garage time tinkering, with a cold beer...

Count said:
That is good enough for me, Studio! I figured I will spend that time installing bullet connectors on all of my motors, so I can easilly swap motors and do some testing! Nothing beats a little quiet garage time tinkering, with a cold beer...

Sounds like a perfect way to while away a few hours!

Studiowise said:
Count said:

because we're bored and it's raining? :D

This weather keeps up, I'll wind up with "DJI Phantom Vision" tattoos. I ran out of room for decals and stickers on the P2V, case, TX and heli-pad... :shock:

Count said:

Would you like to open and reassemble the case every time you will:

- update firmware
- change stick mode
- change compliance mode
- calibrate the controller

Attachments

• RC_main_20131231.JPG
    RC_main_20131231.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 431
Well not quite:

Stick mode: Yes, must plug in. But as it's a whole different control method (throttle on the other side) I don't know anyone who changes it more than once.

Compliance mode: No need to open, just use the pot on the rear.

Calibrate: standard calibration can be done via plugging the Vision in to the Vision Assistant and doing it via the aircraft. If that won't sort you out due to major issues then yes, you'll need to plug in the tx.

Firmware: it's a dumb transmitter - no lcd, programming, mixing, expo, etc. They updated it once to squeeze a bit more range out of CE mode, so I can't see many more of these on the horizon - all of the gain adjust, switch programming etc is done by the aircraft.

So I don't see us having to open it up much at all, but those that have modded theirs will be about 5 minutes ahead of those that haven't!

Pull_Up said:
Well not quite:

Stick mode: Yes, must plug in. But as it's a whole different control method (throttle on the other side) I don't know anyone who changes it more than once.

Compliance mode: No need to open, just use the pot on the rear.

Calibrate: standard calibration can be done via plugging the Vision in to the Vision Assistant and doing it via the aircraft. If that won't sort you out due to major issues then yes, you'll need to plug in the tx.

Firmware: it's a dumb transmitter - no lcd, programming, mixing, expo, etc. They updated it once to squeeze a bit more range out of CE mode, so I can't see many more of these on the horizon - all of the gain adjust, switch programming etc is done by the aircraft.

So I don't see us having to open it up much at all, but those that have modded theirs will be about 5 minutes ahead of those that haven't!

agree with all of the above. only one missed off the list is that every time you open it up there is always a chance you could damage the the antenna connections. quite a few have inadvertently affected the performance and not realised why until they checked the pigtail connection. personally, i hate the collar design of the antenna

You're quite right, there have been issues. My point was only that the need to open it up going forward will be reduced from "definitely will have to" for those without latest tx firmware, to "probably won't have to" if you are all up to date or have a younger unit. So mod if you want to, but I wouldn't worry too much if you are nervous about doing so or have opened it up once already without incident, but don't want to risk it again to do the mod. :)

Pull_Up said:
Calibrate: standard calibration can be done via plugging the Vision in to the Vision Assistant and doing it via the aircraft.

According to the User Manual (V1.10) Vision Assistant can monitor the channels. But isn't the communication between RC and aircraft one way only. How could Vision Assistant send calibration commands to the RC?

Big Bull said:
I ordered my Phantom 2Vision yesterday, and was assured that the rc transmitter had the external USB jack.

Can I ask where you ordered yours from?

AnselA said:
Pull_Up said:
Calibrate: standard calibration can be done via plugging the Vision in to the Vision Assistant and doing it via the aircraft.
According to the User Manual (V1.10) Vision Assistant can monitor the channels. But isn't the communication between RC and aircraft one way only. How could Vision Assistant send calibration commands to the RC?
You are correct... It cannot. Read Chuggie's first-hand experience & explanation about exactly this here:
http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6257&p=47506

iDrone

Disagree slightly.

A basic calibration can be done via the Vision Assistant. This is because the aircraft is compensating for any small offsets - that's why there's Tx calibration section in the Vision Assistant software! The aircraft will take the signal it's getting and re-set what value is equal to zero for each channel.

However, as I said originally, if you have a major miscalibration then you will need to do it via the RC Assistant, then via the Vision Assistant, if required.

Pull_Up said:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20