Anyone using the ImmersionRC Duo5800 v3 Diversity A/V Rx?

Reaction score
I'm looking into using a diversity receiver (5.8GHz) so I can use an omni skew planar and a directional helical at the same time and have it auto-switch between the two.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the price, about $240, which is 3 times more than other diversity receivers (like the Boscam). I do have an ImmersionRC tx, and it's usually a good idea to stay with the same tech when possible, so there's that.

Also, it would be the same price or cheaper to go with two separate ImmersionRC Uno rx and use a video diversity solution.

Two questions:
Would the Duo work much better than a more complicated (but versatile) setup, like two Unos and a separate video diversity unit?
Why is the IRC Duo so much more expensive than other solutions?

Re: Anyone using the ImmersionRC Duo5800 v3 Diversity A/V Rx

I can't answer either of your questions, but I just got a Duo, and am very happy with it. I put a $20 patch antenna and a IBCrazy 5.8GHz 9.5dbic Helical antenna on the Duo, and use its output to feed my Fatshark goggles, and soon my DVR and/or Lilliput 664/W screen. Very pleased with the improvement in range and quality. Fantastic quality out to 2km if I point the helical properly, and usable (navigable) quality out to 4km. Expensive? Yes. Fun? Absolutely. FWIW, I have two P2's, an older one running the IRC 250mW and a newer one running the IRC 600mW. The older one has noticeably better control range, and I have yet to diagnose if that is antenna placement, presence or absence of (1) GroundStation air end, (2) H3-3D; or (3) its interference board, etc. On both of the P2's, I run the same black mushroom Fatshark antenna with a long extension to get it down below the noise and obstructions.

Kelly

Re: Anyone using the ImmersionRC Duo5800 v3 Diversity A/V Rx

Good to hear someone else's experience with the Duo. You said that you're using a patch and a helical, but since they're both directional, what exactly are you gaining? In other words, when is the patch being actively used in your setup? I was thinking about doing the same but using a helical with an omni, so I have 360 coverage in my immediate surroundings.

Are you able to get 2k-4k range with the 200mW vtx? I'd be very interested to hear your tests on why on p2 has better control range. I'm wondering if the vtx is somehow drowning it, although I'm not aware of an issue where 5.8 stomps on 2.4.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl