Anyone using Headplay FPV Goggles?

What are your requirements for a goggle? Likings, disliking?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I'm just looking for a good large field of view with sharp crisp details. Never owned a pair so trying to get it right the first time.

Everyone doesn't like goggles. I suggest to start with economic goggles first. You can install Litchi and buy $30 goggles and try. If you like it then go for expensive and quality goggles. We can discuss later.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: seamew
I bought a set when they first came out. FPV was not for me as it made me dizzy. They were really clear with great color. They were $299 shipped then but I think you can find them much cheaper now. Even a used set would be the way to go.

That said there are cheaper option out there.

Hi Optor,
Give this a thought. My wife and I fly with the new Samsung Galaxy 9.7 inch Tab S2. (tablet). It is a beautiful crisp display with wonderful bright colors. Then we use the "Hoodman" shade with the extension so that your eyes (and glasses) are abut 12 to 13 inches away from this display. It shuts out 100% of the outside sunlight, but you can still control your tablet. I run the display at full brightness when flying, so that when I want to land, I can just look "outside the Hoodman" and my eyes are already adapted to sunlight. I can see detail like even power-lines as I fly 50 or 100 feet above them. It is somewhat bulky, but it is definitely worth it for enjoying FPV while shooting videos in the distance. We just finished a 6 week camping and Jeeping trip to Colorado where we flew many flights between 12,000 and 13,300 feet AMSL (above mean sea level). We were always within 400 feet of the ground.

Search for Samsung Tab S2, and for "Hoodman shade" or see the links below.
Really happy with the video image.

See:

Drone Aviator hood kit for iPad mini (includes HAV1 & HAV1E) - HAV1KIT in Drones, Phones and Tablet (the ipad hoodman fits the Samsung tab perfectly)

Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 - 9.7" - 64GB Black SM-T810NZKEXAR - Best Buy

I have also set up a bright 10.1 inch TFT LCD display (from China) using the HDMI output card from our Phantom 3 Pro. This allows my wife to guide me with camera instructions when I am flying, and visa versa.
Cheers,
Joe
KC7GHT

Reactions: Paul Priems
Hey Joe,
What a great piece of info and really appreciate you taking the time to explain your setup. Already ordered the head plays and hope to give them a look this week. That sounds amazing on the flying in CO and I also love camping and traveling with our 19' travel trailer. I see you are also a ham. Hopefully one day I will make it out West and do some camping out in that area.

Best,
Mike
K4XTA

Hey guys,
Looking for some advice on FPV goggles. Anyone using the Headplay brand? Have looked thru a pair of fat sharks and a bit disappointed at how small it all appeared, kinda like being far back in a theater. Heard these were pretty good and just looking for more feedback. Considering these.
Headplay FPV Goggles Video Glasses 1280*800 HD 5.8GHz 32CH RX QAV250 WHITE | eBay
I have tried several and I love my Headplay! I also wear glasses, so this leaves out most other displays. I recommend getting the 3rd party lens mod from RHO. This changes the normal 7" focal point to 16" (much better for us older folks - display is now crystal clear). I have used it with my Phantom 4 and now with my Inspire 1! Great to use with the second controller for the camera operator as you see better detail. And it is about half the price of any other display ($250).

Reactions: Opfor
Thanks for the reply and yes, love my headplays as well. Have been using them now for about 8 weeks. Also needing to add my glasses and so can you tell me more about where to get this lens that helps with that? You said RHO? Not sure who this is?

Did a google search, found a great video by RC Groups on youtube. Already ordered a set from ebay....looking forward to the upgrade.

Thanks for the reply and yes, love my headplays as well. Have been using them now for about 8 weeks. Also needing to add my glasses and so can you tell me more about where to get this lens that helps with that? You said RHO? Not sure who this is?
rho-lens.com I have the HPRO lens which replaced the origional HPHD that did not fit quite as well. You can purchase it at rho-lens.com/rho-lens-hpro.

So all of you so far say you like these head play goggles? I just got my hdmi module last week and installed it. I'm looking for some cheaper but decent quality goggles to use for the hdmi output.. Would you guys recommend me to buy these for starters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Testman
Count me in as a fan of the headplay. I have had mine for several months now. My fatshark goggles have sat in their case ever since. The 72 degree FOV of the goggles and the 94 degree FOV of the Phantom are close enough to provide a "natural" feel to the view. The FOV is wide enough to be able to choose to only look at part of the screen, or take in the whole image, as you see fit - much like one does with their own eyes. I have a P3A which "only" provides a 2mbps stream - I understand that the P3P and above gives a higher bandwidth image - 10mbps or so. This must be fantastic to see in the headplay.

I'm just looking for a good large field of view with sharp crisp details. Never owned a pair so trying to get it right the first time.
I have Headplays, been using them about a month. Yes...they have a great field of vision, and are sharp. BUT they ARE immersive (you will lose your situational awareness).

After a 15 minute flight, my body felt like I'd actually gone somewhere. The feeling didn't go away for about 2 hours, and affected my driving. Yes, I like the Headplays, but I can very easily see where people get dizzy. I pointed the camera down (on my p4) over a pond, and felt my stomach lurch).

Lesser goggles (with a front picture in picture camera): Flysights, which I am using.

Love the headplay goggles. I'm 53 and need glasses so I also have the RHO lens which are invaluable. I directly connect the Headplay to my Invidia K1 tablet that has a HDMI out so you get all the telemetry info on the screen. Amazing!

Onajourney, a follow up question for you: Are you flying without GPS support (using your NVDIA K1)? I may end up going this route. Are you using the HDMI out to the NVDIA K1, then the K1 HDMI out to the Headplays? Are you using a USB port with a cellular device?

I ask this because i would also like to use 2 HDMI devices: when I fly I would use the Headplays (for "passengers") and the Flysights SPX02's (for myself).

I'm using my Samsung Note4 on USB with the RC. Honestly, I can hardly see a thing on the Note4, even with a hood, hence the goggles (which give me much more freedom and confidence).
I just don't feel confident flying my P4 without goggles, unless I stay within 90 feet (with the Headplays, and extended antenna, I've done much more than that already).

The Flysights should prove out to be the same (wx has been poor; haven't been up for a longer journey using the flysights).

I have a HDCP splitter coming and planning on setting up both devices on HDMI. Not even sure it will work, to tell the truth. Both have HDMI in, not out as I understand it.

I have many older friends who would be very interested in seeing a flight using the Headplays.

Love the headplay goggles. I'm 53 and need glasses so I also have the RHO lens which are invaluable. I directly connect the Headplay to my Invidia K1 tablet that has a HDMI out so you get all the telemetry info on the screen. Amazing!

+1 but as well as using the RHO lenses I've left the original lens in as well with a tight fit, that way you don't get any crap on the screen at the back

I have put a high quality HDMI (DHCP compatible) non powered splitter on my bird, and both sets of goggles are working. I haven't flown with this configuration yet, but hope to do so when the weather gets better.

I have put a high quality HDMI (DHCP compatible) non powered splitter on my bird, and both sets of goggles are working. I haven't flown with this configuration yet, but hope to do so when the weather gets better.

Are you talking about using an hdmi splitter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic