Anyone using a Tracker? Recommendations?

Reaction score
When I think of all the accessories we buy increasing the total cost to fly and read how many phantoms are reported lost on these boards, I wonder if there is a tracker system that is reliable and cost efficient?

For about a $2000 investment, I'm thinking a 10% cost or $200 for a tracker seems like a reasonable insurance policy to protect my investment.

Does anyone have personal experience with any of these systems like the Marco Polo? I saw a list of trackers after searching here, but no recommendations. Thanks

Trackimo. First year is free. Nice little device I can also use to put in the pocket of my child if we go to a crowded place.

I really like the Marco Polo. You dont have the convenience of finding it on a map but its indisputably the most robust tracker out there. No cell required. So no issues with dropping in ditch and losing signal.

Their support rocks too.

Reactions: Scottb527
Thanks, as I said I saw the list but need recommendations from pilots with experience.

Well I have lost a Phantom 3 times over a mile away. Found it all three times without damage. So well worth the money. I have 3 tags so I can use different aircraft but currently down to one quad so have extras :)

Reactions: Scottb527
Where did you mount your Trackimo or Marco Polo? Have you ever needed to use it to find your phantom?
Have you tried landing in an obscure part of the field you were flying, and then "tracking" your phantom with the device? Thanks

Yes picked this one up at the pound and it does a great job. Bloodhound.jpg

I tested my UAV Locator on Pensacola Beach last month.

To borrow a phrase from Ms. Mona Lisa Vito, it was dead on balls accurate. :cool:

Did not mean Phantom 3. Have lost a Phantom three times. So yes I have used it.

Each time over a mile.
20150731_105546.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: brianb87
What's sticking off at a right angle? Is that an antenna or just a tie wrap that you didn't cut off?

If all you want is tracking, then the Trakimo is probably your best bet. I have the Flytrex 3G which is also a flight data recorder. Might come in handy if my drone gets shot down and I need to prove where it was.

Reactions: BigPig and bobmyers
If all you want is tracking, then the Trakimo is probably your best bet. I have the Flytrex 3G which is also a flight data recorder. Might come in handy if my drone gets shot down and I need to prove where it was.

I live in Philadelphia and I don't even worry about that ever happening. Where are you that they're just shooting down drones?

Reactions: Mike Gravo
I wanted something that was self-contained, and would not rely on external systems, specifically GPS and Mobile. I opted for a UHF RF Beacon that uses an off the shelf FRS Radio for a receiver. I set the beacon for FRS Channel 3, and 3 second transmit interval. The whole package, including LiPo, tucks up nicely into the top of the P2V+ landing strut. With a 380mah battery, I get > 24 hour transmit times. I added a piezo chirper to help with the "last mile", so to speak (High Grass, etc.).

The Baofeng UV-5R radio has a removable antenna, so I built a directional Yagi antenna to help at longer range. The first part of the video is just the piezo chirping, then I switch on the Baofeng, and you can hear the High-Medium-Low power tones transmitted by the beacon.

Beacon V2: $18.50 http://distance-rc.com/store/beaconv2
Baofeng UV-5R: $27.10 http://tinyurl.com/pjseppp (Buy 2: Careful, requires Ham license to Xmit)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
When I think of all the accessories we buy increasing the total cost to fly and read how many phantoms are reported lost on these boards, I wonder if there is a tracker system that is reliable and cost efficient?

For about a $2000 investment, I'm thinking a 10% cost or $200 for a tracker seems like a reasonable insurance policy to protect my investment.

Does anyone have personal experience with any of these systems like the Marco Polo? I saw a list of trackers after searching here, but no recommendations. Thanks
I have the Marco Polo and it works great. I mounted the transmitter with Velcro but with the antenna pointed down rather than up as in the photo. This is the RC version of the transmitter.
IMG_20150607_093623253_HDR.jpg

What's sticking off at a right angle? Is that an antenna or just a tie wrap that you didn't cut off?
That is the antenna.

He has two versions. Actually three but most people don't know about the 3rd.
  • Dog version in rugged plastic collar clip case. Has longest battery life with short stubby antenna.
  • RC version. Smaller battery to be lightweight for small aircraft where weight is an issue. Longer antenna for better range.
  • 3rd version if you ask. Same price as RC version but he will put the bigger dog battery on it. So you get the best of both. Days and days of battery and long range. This is the "hybrid"
The difference it weight is not noticeable on a Phantom.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31