Anyone up to speed on GoPro3 Black low light performance?

Reaction score
Unfortunately I haven't been able to get my new gimbal working and there's something I wanted to shoot tonight on New Year's Eve... It is a torch light parade at a local ski resort. I'll still shoot it if there's no wind, but unfortunately I won't have any gimbal.

The parade will obviously be in the dark, with the torches lighting up the ski slopes as the people ski down in formation with them. I thought the Phantom would be able to capture this in the coolest way.

Anyone have experience in low light with their GoPro 3 Black? I know there's a low light mode (or is that the 3+?) but I have yet to try it. In regular mode the unit stinks for low light.

Thoughts on how to set up for this tonight?

Re: Anyone up to speed on GoPro3 Black low light performance

No, there's no special low light mode.

Low light can be tricky, but hopefully you'll have enough light for decent video.

turn OFF Protune
and then try to shoot at a high resolution at 24fps perhaps (which allows for longer shutter exposure per frame)

Try 1440 @ 24fps.
Keep the turns and pans as slow as you can.

I didn't end up flying over this event as there was a light snow falling. I did put the GoPro on my head and ran it in video plus photo mode while skiing in the dark with the torches. Pretty much none of the photos were any good in the dark, which isn't a surprise. The video turned out "ok" at 1080/30.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl