Anyone tried this mod to replace the camera USB cable?

Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NLA33KA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

51yBN67OmUL.jpg

I was under the impression that DJI went with the flimsy USB cable because the back-panel would not output HD video?

I thought DJI went to the USB cable due to GoPro getting into the drone business soon and they stopped supporting development.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NLA33KA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

51yBN67OmUL.jpg

I was under the impression that DJI went with the flimsy USB cable because the back-panel would not output HD video?

The 30 pin connector only works with the Hero 3 & 3+. When GoPro caught onto what DJI was doing without permission or paying a royalty to GP for use of their patent they changed the pin connections on the hero 4's. So DJI after getting caught with their hand in the cookie jar change the design of the H3-3D/H4-3D gimbals.

51yBN67OmUL.jpg

If this thread is about whether I've installed the Hero 30-pin buss connector on my Zenmuse H43D gimbal, then my answer is yes. It works perfectly, feeds audio and video to the CAM bus in the drone, then onto my Fatshark 5.8 Gh transmitter and iOSD with perfect operation. The conversion connector will eliminate need for a battery in your Hero 3 series camera thus saving a bit of weight, and makes removal and installation of the micro SD card in the camera a breeze. I set my GoPro Hero 3_ Black to start recording video at 2900 as soon as power is supplied, so when I wake up the P2 battery I'm recording and ready to gain some altitude and video. This is a perfect solution to the awkward mini USB connector that was offered in the second generation Zenmuse mounts.

If this thread is about whether I've installed the Hero 30-pin buss connector on my Zenmuse H43D gimbal, then my answer is yes. It works perfectly, feeds audio and video to the CAM bus in the drone, then onto my Fatshark 5.8 Gh transmitter and iOSD with perfect operation. The conversion connector will eliminate need for a battery in your Hero 3 series camera thus saving a bit of weight, and makes removal and installation of the micro SD card in the camera a breeze. I set my GoPro Hero 3_ Black to start recording video at 2900 as soon as power is supplied, so when I wake up the P2 battery I'm recording and ready to gain some altitude and video. This is a perfect solution to the awkward mini USB connector that was offered in the second generation Zenmuse mounts.

It's great that you're using a 30 pin connector on H4-3D gimbal works for a Hero3 camera. But maybe just maybe you should understand why and for what reason the design was changed to the ribbon cable. It isn't a perfect solution for the Hero 4 cameras as the pin connection are not the same.

Need you be reminded
The 30 pin connector only works with the Hero 3 & 3+. When GoPro caught onto what DJI was doing without permission or paying a royalty to GP for use of their patent they changed the pin connections on the hero 4's. So DJI after getting caught with their hand in the cookie jar change the design of the H3-3D/H4-3D gimbals.

I thought DJI went to the USB cable due to GoPro getting into the drone business soon and they stopped supporting development.

This had nothing to do GoPro developing or even thinking about going into the drone business it had to do with the Chinese doing what they do best copy right infringement..

One of the reviews said it worked with the GoPro 4 Silver, so I took a chance - it was only $15.

One of the reviews said it worked with the GoPro 4 Silver, so I took a chance - it was only $15.

If your referring to this thread it will work for the Hero 3/3+ but not the Hero 4's

It may be worth buying a Hero3 just to avoid the flimsy USB cable. The reason I went with the Hero4 was that it will take video + stills simultaneously.

Reactions: iowahill
It may be worth buying a Hero3 just to avoid the flimsy USB cable. The reason I went with the Hero4 was that it will take video + stills simultaneously.

Same here. I think I use that feature the most when flying. I can live with 1080p/30 video, I'm not making a super-duper production out of it... I just make sure I'm very careful handling that USB cable.

I bought my Hero3+ Black with the adventure pack as refurbished for around $350, which seemed like a great deal as it is supposedly equivalent to the base model Hero 4. What I found to my dismay was that the USB connector was missing its insides, and GoPro wouldn't warranty it because it was bought from a non-authorised Amazon dealer. I can buy a new motherboard for it for about $115, and there's a firm out of southern California that sells lens replacement kits for the H3 that cover a wide range of F stops and FL's. Distortion from the stock fisheye is kind of annoying, so I really considered getting their f2.9 lens kit. It requires disassembly of the camera down to the motherboard, so replacing the board and installing the lens mod would get the USB port back, give me ability to interchange lenses when needed without having to take the camera apart again, and provide vertical lines in close to natural perspective without distortion.Total cost would be short of $250 US, but would really be an enhanced package that would suit me fine!

The GoPro 3+ black has the same video/photo feature.

Got a link?
GoPro Hero 3+ & 3 Black Lenses : Peau Productions - Store

They have a really comprehensive Youtube How-to that shows how to disassemble and mod the camera. Note that this link is for the Hero3 Black series. Check their site for other after-market offerings. They will do the conversions for you if you lack the patience or skills for somewhere north of $100 plus the lens kit of your choice. I think I'll eventuall go for their f2.9 fast lens as it is colse to the stock GoPro, but without the spherical distortion.

GoPro Hero 3+ & 3 Black Lenses : Peau Productions - Store

They have a really comprehensive Youtube How-to that shows how to disassemble and mod the camera. Note that this link is for the Hero3 Black series. Check their site for other after-market offerings. They will do the conversions for you if you lack the patience or skills for somewhere north of $100 plus the lens kit of your choice. I think I'll eventuall go for their f2.9 fast lens as it is colse to the stock GoPro, but without the spherical distortion.
Thanks for the link.
And Jason, thanks for the tip. Looks like I will be watching eBay for a deal on a Hero 3 Black.

Thanks for the link.
And Jason, thanks for the tip. Looks like I will be watching eBay for a deal on a Hero 3 Black.

What do you consider a good deal? I've got more GoPros than I need including two Hero 3 Black models.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav