Anyone Tried the Walkera Scout X4?

Koz

Reaction score
Have any of you Phantom pilots tried the new Walkera Scout X4? If so, how do you rate it against the P2 and the P2V+?

I have a P2V+ and while I like the aircraft the camera simply isn't up to my needs. So I'm looking at either adding a P2/GoPro or the Scout/GoPro to my hangar. Well, I was thinking that. Now I have to wait a few days and see what the new DJI UAS is all about (and its price).

Oh.. I don't know... I have read a few articles, been following 1 forum,, I have read nothing but good reviews on the Scout X4 so far.. It looks like it may be a little more harder to learn to fly, ( lots of switches/modes) but at this point I am leaning towards it over the Phantom,, Just waiting to see what the next DJI release is all about..

djl

Definitely looking at the Scout X4. My phantom Vision Plus had TWO fly aways within one week. One crashed in a bean field and the other just happened today. I've done EVERYTHING required to try and fly this phantom but I can tell you that I'm selling it and looking at the Scout X4. Just bought the Phantom a month ago. DJI is junk...they barely even acknowledge there is an issue with fly aways and their customer service is horrid.

750r said:

I've been monitoring RCGroups but I haven't seen anyone that has owned both birds make a comparison. I like my P2V+, but compared to the features of the Scout it seems limited. Of course, with more features comes more complexity, but that doesn't bother me. With RC planes I learned very quickly not to try and fly beyond my current capabilities.

What I want is an aircraft within my budget of $2500, with a good camera and decent flight time. Unfortunately, my budget and my wish list don't quite synch up.

Hi. After having so much bad luck with the Phantom and flyaways I am certainly looking at the Scout. I still believe after all the flyaways on Youtube some Phantoms are flawed. My pal flys many types of rc aicraft even the little Walkera 350 and it flys just as well as the phantom probably quicker, and never flyaway, its been dropped bashed and it still survives, The Scout is a big upgrade, I strongly believe the Scout will be brtter....far better than the Phantom and to be quite honest I don't know quite how the Phantom has got such a good review. Thanks guys

Hi again sorry forgot to mention, I think DJI know there are errors with the Phantom hence the new compass on the V2. I have to say, and I am, sorry if it offends but I agree with Firecam DJI is junk and I will not support a company who's tech support is crap!!

Ash said:
Hi again sorry forgot to mention, I think DJI know there are errors with the Phantom hence the new compass on the V2. I have to say, and I am, sorry if it offends but I agree with Firecam DJI is junk and I will not support a company who's tech support is crap!!

From what I've read/heard... You'll have more of the same with Walkera. It just might be a cultural issue. It's how things are done in China. They're not restricted by the same rules or mores as U.S. and European companies are. For instance... Look at all of the incredibly close knock offs of the Hubsan quads. If Hubsan were a U.S company and the cloners were U.S. companies, we'd have a whole bunch of lawyers getting even fatter... :shock:

The attitude seems to be... If you don't like our tech support, buy it somewhere else... :)

-slinger

Walkera is not quite up to par quality wise. Take a look at the camera cost..it is around $100..nowhere near a go pro. I also hear the scout is a heavy pig in the air.
lets face it, the Chinese don't respect their own citizens,not to mention other peoples citizens. It is all about the company or the country. Our feelings or rights are secondary. Dji will only give good customer service if it is in their best interest.
Doing the amount of business in the u.s. that they now do dji is being forced to change the service. There is a new service company now dealing with sales and service as a partner to dji. I have had a long talk with them and they say they will be making big changes and will take care of the customers much better.
Time will tell but i think they have no choice but to give better service.

thumpinhard said:
Walkera is not quite up to par quality wise. Take a look at the camera cost..it is around $100..nowhere near a go pro. I also hear the scout is a heavy pig in the air.
lets face it, the Chinese don't respect their own citizens,not to mention other peoples citizens. It is all about the company or the country. Our feelings or rights are secondary. Dji will only give good customer service if it is in their best interest.
Doing the amount of business in the u.s. that they now do dji is being forced to change the service. There is a new service company now dealing with sales and service as a partner to dji. I have had a long talk with them and they say they will be making big changes and will take care of the customers much better.
Time will tell but i think they have no choice but to give better service.

I thought they would finally slide in that direction due to necessity. I hope you're right and things do turn around. There's a lot of money on the table and the competition is beginning to stack up. It's nice to have options... :D

-slinger

I bought a scout x4 a few weeks ago and returned it after 15 minutes of flying and almost 3 crashes in that time. Junk compared to My P2+.

Birds-iView said:
I bought a scout x4 a few weeks ago and returned it after 15 minutes of flying and almost 3 crashes in that time. Junk compared to My P2+.

Really? What kind of specific problems were you seeing? I've heard a number of complaints about that platform and a number of posts that went in exactly the opposite direction. I understand it's a brand new aircraft and it's going to have a breaking in period. Sort of like the period where many of us beta tested the original P2V for six or seven months... :shock: :shock: :shock:

-slinger

Birds-iView said:
Like i said... Walkera is crap.

I have had many Walkera helicopters before. I feel they are cheap and only focus on making money from customers without caring about problems from their helicopters. Firmware upgrade is rare. If any problems, they will push out a newer model to fix it in 3 months time. While you stuck with another worthless piece of junk.

Do not get x4 scout. Bought one 2 weeks ago and only flew it 3 times and as far as I know it flew off and i could do nothing at all but watch my $1600 fly away!! Can't say I have ever felt so helpless as this.

I would take a good hard look at the Hubsan X4 Pro. Every other product I have had of theirs are wonderful and tough as nails. Advertises a 40 minute flight time and comes with parachute

if Walkera has sold as many as DJI, you'd have forums flooded with their flyaways/crash stories.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20