Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Anyone tried mounting a larger camera?

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by marko1953, Jul 25, 2016.

1. marko1953

I did a bit of a search but couldn't find anything. Has anyone on here tried mounting a larger camera like the Sony A5000 on a Phantom 2 or 3? The weight is about 388g. I really like the idea of an APS-c sized sensor with 20Mp. The latest A6100 etc has 24Mp. Even if the flight time is reduced it might be worth it for still photos?

2. rockydog

I think the idea is a non starter......first of all, any gimbal capable of stabilising a camera that size is going to be way too heavy even if you could find a method of mounting/powering it, and secondly, if you found a way to mount it without a gimbal, how are you going to trigger the camera?

3. marko1953

Thanks Rockydog, I was thinking mainly just for still photos and not having a gimbal at all. These cameras have a built in intervalometer so just set it for one photo every 3 or 4 seconds. Using a high shutter speed might cancel any vibration blur.

4. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

A few people have tried things like this: Dronexpert | Quickrelease Sony RX100 mount (Vision+)
    That's expensive and I haven't seen anything like it for the P3 series.
    Although you get a better camera, the tradeoff is huge with no gimbal or proper viewing or camera control.
    There's not much point chasing better picture quality when you can't use the camera properly.