Anyone know of a lens cover - no gimal lock for the P4?

Reaction score
I see lots on Amazon ( cover with gimbal lock) but I do want to fly without recording and would like to protect the lens without locking the gimble so it can move freely especially on start up. I've tried Amazon so I am missing something or some place that sells a decent one.

Thanks

The lens itself is already protected by a clear glass screw-on UV filter that can be removed and replaced if it should become damaged. Buy Phantom 4 - UV Filter | DJI Store

If you put on an opaque lens cover you won't be able to see any video on your device while you're flying. Out of curiosity, why would you want to do this?

Last edited:
The lens itself is already protected by a clear glass screw-on UV filter that can be removed and replaced if it should become damaged. Buy Phantom 4 - UV Filter | DJI Store

If you put on an opaque lens cover you won't be able to see any video on your device while you're flying. Out of curiosity, why would you want to do this?

Well just for handling reasons to protect without the whole gimbal lock.
But of course, you are right about FPV - I did not consider you lens link while flying now I will buy a replacement if needed. Also, there will be times when I can just do LOS because quite honetly that's a thill in itself.

I use UV filter as the lens cover and don't feel the need to buy 3D printed covers.

Reactions: jsposito
I use UV filter as the lens cover and don't feel the need to buy 3D printed covers.
Lot's of people probably the same but 2 for $4.95 with free shipping hard to beat- makes me feel the lens is even more protected. True though, we read here more about broken gimbals than shattered lenses. Cover would also keep the UV lense clean too, no?

It's not just the price, I don't want to have too many loose items on the site. I have the lens cover with the gimbal lock, that's good enough to protect filters. It's me, you may have totally different choice.

Sure that works great, protects all and glad it came stock. However, I want to start up, not resritict the gimbal motion setting itself and not fly FLV, only LOS not recording. I suppose I would not like to record for a couple of reasons, one is my flying is not especially remarkable and also I'd like to check batter percentage without recording. Also, I'm new, and prefer LOS.

Also, there will be times when I can just do LOS because quite honetly that's a thill in itself.

Yes it is a thrill. It's how I learned to fly a multirotor four years ago. It had no GPS, no telemetry and no camera. :)

I was doing that just yesterday. I folded the iPad forward so I couldn't see it and spent 15 minutes flying LOS around a 50 acre field across the road from where I live.

Reactions: jsposito
Cool. My first attempt at a circle was nearly perfect. When I pressed RTH it was downwind and it had to be doing at least 60mph but I did not check the controller to confirm this. Remarkable with that speed how the air brake works to line up with home point.

Yes it is a thrill. It's how I learned to fly a multirotor four years ago. It had no GPS, no telemetry and no camera. :)

I was doing that just yesterday. I folded the iPad forward so I couldn't see it and spent 15 minutes flying LOS around a 50 acre field across the road from where I live.

That's what I have, about a 50 acre of farmland, with many tree's bordering. My next attempt will be to fly up above and over the trees. The OA druing my flight gave a warning with the tree obstruction. Great drone.

There is a well known and very good drone sponsor on youtube and I wonder why he mentioned using a "clear" protective cover. I truly forget his name/channel but he is well known and gets right to the point. Clarifies everything on phantoms. No one asked him why he mentioned clear. Strange.

If you want his channel I could probably find it.

I don't use a cover anymore, but with my P3 I could't find a lens cover that fitted.
Instead I used a cap of the right size. They are for free and you have them in nice colors ;)
cap.jpg

There is a well known and very good drone sponsor on youtube and I wonder why he mentioned using a "clear" protective cover. I truly forget his name/channel but he is well known and gets right to the point. Clarifies everything on phantoms. No one asked him why he mentioned clear. Strange.

If you want his channel I could probably find it.

yes please, i'm the curious type that likes to see all the options that are available for anything , as i'm always open for new ideas

yes please, i'm the curious type that likes to see all the options that are available for anything , as i'm always open for new ideas

This one:-->
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

and DRONE CAPTAIN and very good IMO
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Plenty of video's for the first one btw.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers