Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Anyone know about solar activity?!?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skyfly101, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Skyfly101

I have been hearing a lot about how solar activity can affect our phantoms but is that really true? And I also heard today August 2nd is a really bad day for solar storms. Any one know anything?

2. msinger

Approved Vendor

I'm still waiting for someone to provide proof that this has a negative effect on Phantoms. Until that surfaces, I'd recommend you ignore solar activity data.

3. Skyfly101

Okay. For me it makes sense why people could say that because they are electromagnetic storms which could affect the Compass. But I will take your advice thank you

4. BigAl07

BigAl07 Moderator
    Staff Member

I'll "venture" into this arena for a moment...

On previous UAS which had much less "solid" GPS and COMPASS sensors I could tell a difference from a KP Index 5 day and a KP Index 1 day when it comes to the initial "Acquisition" of satellites. There were some days it would seem to take FOREVER to get a lock (even clear and open skies). I'd check the KP and BAM it was high.

Since I switched over to the Phantom3 system I've yet to have a No-Lock day period. I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I even checked the KP Index.

I don't have any "Scientific" proof or links to back any of this up. I only have my own observations so take that for what you paid for it LOL.

5. Skyfly101

Okay thank you yesterday I had compass errors and I don't know if it was the k.p. index the heat. It was 100 degrees Fahrenheit about 40 degrees Celsius. And I had compass errors. So I'm just a bit worried

6. BigAl07

BigAl07 Moderator
    Staff Member

The ap HOVER (which I highly suggest) gives a KP Index on the main screen.

7. Skyfly101

8. Alaska-Flyer

9. jokerone

check ham radio websites. we have to worry about this for communications over distance. If you want I can post some links.

thanks.

10. brothers

Solar activity primarily affects the ionosphere, whose reflectivity is primarily involved in long-distance communication at frequencies below 30 MHz. It shouldn't affect line-of-sight propagation at 2.4 GHz, which is where our drones operate.

- de N1DB

#10 brothers, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  11. Pharm

You can also Google "solar activity", "kp index", etc. and find lots of info.