Anyone here cracked open their camera to adjust focus?

Reaction score
So I've decided not to send my P3P back for warranty work for a slightly out of focus camera. Without getting into my rationale, I've toyed with the idea of fixing it myself once the warranty expires in a couple of months. Anyone here had the 'nads to try such a procedure and how did it turn out?

ask tony on here he will let you know just did it

I'm also interested in something like thiis.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Why wait till fall, do it now. Or do you think you will have an issue that may require the current active warranty? If you could have sent in, I would have already. Has it been out of focus for ten months??

RedHotPoker

Why wait till fall, do it now. Or do you think you will have an issue that may require the current active warranty? If you could have sent in, I would have already. Has it been out of focus for ten months??

RedHotPoker
Camera warranty is only 6 months and I've owned it for 4. Holding off any attempt at tweaking the focus until out of warranty, just in case.

There is another thread here that describes the procedure for adjusting the sensor board if focus is not consistent across the frame. Probably a good idea to try that fix before cracking the lens glue.

Sounds reasonable. When you do the camera adjustment, please consider doing an instructional video, of the proceedings, for others who may want to follow suit. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Within the last couple of days there was a very good instructional post on this (with pictures).

In your circumstannces i would send it to DJI before the warranty period ends. If they botch the repair attenpt its on them.

Within the last couple of days there was a very good instructional post on this (with pictures).

In your circumstannces i would send it to DJI before the warranty period ends. If they botch the repair attenpt its on them.
Where is that post i can't find it? Thanks

Perhaps too lazy to search for it. But there you go. Thanks for assisting. Haha

RedHotPoker

Here's a tutorial on replacing the lens on a P3. Should be useful for optimizing focus with the stock lens as well.

Reactions: StevenQX

RedHotPoker
You got me poker, hands up Mate, perhaps lazy on my part but also up a ladder holding a cable with one hand so my electrical contractor cant pull the wrong one at his end and have it dissapear up inside the concrete roof slab somewhere.

I remembered the title.... :)

Here's a tutorial on replacing the lens on a P3. Should be useful for optimizing focus with the stock lens as well.
Thats a good vid. The thread i nentioned deals with adjusting sensor alignment (corrects issues where only part of the image isnt focused).

RedHotPoker
It's not a problem of lazyness, for those who use tapatalk to access forum via mobile because aren't at pc often is not so easy to search for a topic.

You may be right but I don't want to lose my firmware version (1.4) and video (my mainstay) is quite sharp. It's just stills that are slightly soft and there is no guarantee the replacement camera would be any better. Coming from a DYI FPV P2, the adjustment in the video above doesn't look too daunting, other than cracking the glue on the lens threads.

You got me poker, hands up Mate, perhaps lazy on my part but also up a ladder holding a cable with one hand so my electrical contractor cant pull the wrong one at his end and have it dissapear up inside the concrete roof slab somewhere.

I remembered the title.... :)
I bet you can text good while driving a cement mixer too? Hahaha
Step away from the device, and climb down the ladder before replying... Hahaha
That first slip/step is a doozy... ;-)
Talk about dedicated or forum addicted. What an awful affliction to experience. You have my sympathy. Hahaha

RedHotPoker

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dosserdd