Anyone here chose the P4P instead of the Mavic?

Reaction score
Guys,

First world problem if there ever was one: I'm torn between the two (Mavic and P4P). I've researched and weighted the benefits of both models and I'm still teetering between them both.

Usage: I bike/hike and generally love the outdoors so the main purpose is to take arials and stills of the places I visit.

I realize that the Mavic image quality is nothing to be scoffed at, and the form factor is alien tech as far as I'm concerned, however P4P's flight characteristics (safety/reliability/performance) + the image quality seems to offset the portability advantage.

Price point is obviously a factor but I'm ok spending an additional 500-700 if the value/quality scales. But I'm not buying both.

So, anyone here faced the same conundrum? What was your tipping point?

P.S. Shipping / order wait times are a non-factor for me.

Edit: Just realized I posted this in the P4 sub (instead of the P4P) - sorry for ruffled feathers (if any) - new to the forums :p

I'm getting the P4P because I do photography and need the best camera. If I was biking and stuff like you are I'd get the Mavic.

I generally drive tonwhat I'm shooting and if I'm going to hike to the location I use the Polar Pro Drone Trekker backpack.

Reactions: JTC Films
I'm getting the P4P because I do photography and need the best camera. If I was biking and stuff like you are I'd get the Mavic.

I generally drive tonwhat I'm shooting and if I'm going to hike to the location I use the Polar Pro Drone Trekker backpack.

Yeah, so portability is a factor, but is the phantom really that much of a whale to carry? I have an incling that the small form factor of the mavic is somewhat overrated. The backpacks for the phantom I see on here and elsewhere don't seem that bulky... How bad is it?

Reactions: puredata
For most of us, DSRL is not needed, iPhone camera is good enough from portability considerations. Apply the same logic to Mavic and P4P, you will get your answer. There has to be a reason to buy a DSLR or P4P.

If your need is more of a flying machine, then look for the stability. P4 is more stable to winds.

There is no universal answer to your query, it's based on specific needs, likings/ disliking, convenience, craze for better technology, pocket size......

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: JTC Films
If the price point is not effective to your decision I'd get the P4P the first Phantom with a serious camera.

I think portability difference between Phantoms and Mavic is being overrated due to Mavic's magnificent introduction to the scene. People rave how fast you can set the thing up while in reality it just a couple of seconds difference (snap the props vs unfold the mavic)

For a constant traveler/youtuber it might make sense. For someone with a photography focus P4P wins.

On top of that, rushing is not good a good practice as far as I'm concerned with anything you send up in the air.

That being said; for small and short flights being able to fly your aircraft with your tablet via WiFi option is really nice and handy.

I love photography (not very good at it though) and own a DSLR but you're right, I don't carry it in my pocket everyday. Picture/video count is far greater on the phone.

That being said, the mavic is not exactly a pocket drone; It's more like a flying handcam that still requires associated accessories setup etc.

Re: wifi feature - based on all the reviews I read/watched it's pretty gimmicky - no one really takes the mavic out without a controller after the "let's try it" phase.

Anyway thanks for the replys guys, I guess for me it boils down to whether the additional $600 (price difference + second battery) justifies a flying 20MP DSLR or save the cash and stick to tge more compact flying handcam equipment with cellphone optics/sensor.

My photography level being what it is, I'm starting to think the p4p camera features may be wasted on me... Guess I'll keep my Mavic preorder alive for now - tomorrow's another day.

Thanks again, good night.

Last edited:
Yeah, so portability is a factor, but is the phantom really that much of a whale to carry? I have an incling that the small form factor of the mavic is somewhat overrated. The backpacks for the phantom I see on here and elsewhere don't seem that bulky... How bad is it?

I do a lot of hiking with the P4 in the DJI backpack. I'll be honest ... it gets aggravating at times with putting on/removing the propellers, start-up time for the drone, getting iPad hooked up to the RC and getting the DJI Go app all fired up ....
The weight of the whole set up would be a huge disadvantage for biking, in my opinion. For regular hiking, as long as you're in shape it's not much of a burden.

There are times I wish I had the Mavik as I'm unzipping the pack and going through the whole routine, but for my purposes, the image quality of the P4 is worth that little extra effort.
Obviously the P4P is that little bit better than the P4 ... and the side obstacle avoidance is a big plus. I recently crashed my P4 into a saguaro while flying sideways (the drone was flying sideways, not the saguaro :D) Crunched the propellers but the drone lived to fly another day.

You have probably already chosen, you just want to hear others opinions, but something is telling me you already have chosen the P4P;)

Happy flying !

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I've been flying Phantoms for 18mos. I don't take many photos, I'm not as demanding on photos as others might be. I take mostly aerial video. Although 20mp photos are more clear, most people don't notice the difference between 12mp and 20mp, in my audience. Photos are more about composition, lighting and subject, versus megapixels. I do like the better ISO support of the 1" sensor, but it's not enough to sway me.

I never shoot 4K video, even though I can. I always shoot 1080 because 98% of the people that see my videos have no way to view 4K. This may change in a year or two, so maybe I will change at that time. But today it's not worth the extra memory space and hassle to edit 4K video. Given these facts about my current needs, the Phantom 4pro doesn't add much to my preferred needs, even though I really like what DJI has done with the P4P. On the flipside of this decision, I travel a lot, and I take my P4 with me everywhere, on planes, mountain biking, hiking and of course a lot of places by car. I go to sleep many nights thinking about where my next flight will be.

I don't mind the P4 in a backpack, it's quite convenient IMO. I use a ThinkTank Helipak and it has allowed me to go many places across the country with my P4. But it's obvious that having a Mavic would be much easier and convenient to tote along, so I ordered one today. Someday I may order a P4P if my commercial needs require it, but I have a feeling I'll wait for the P5. It's quite possible I'll buy an Inspire 2 w/X5 next, but again that will be driven with my commercial needs, not emotion (if I can help it). :rolleyes:

If the P4P would have had Ocu-Sync communications, my decision may have been different.

Last edited:
I've bought a mavic pro, and I've returned and got a P4P.
The ONLY advantage of mavic is the portability (it's fantastic).
The form factor and even the materials in mavic aren't as good as on P4P.
The mavic controller seems like a poor quality toy too (bad design in my opinion).

I use a backpack for my P4 often, and can set up in couple of minutes, since the iPad holder has to be folded down to fit in backpack, it helps to replace the screw on the iPad holder with an extended bolt with small knob on the end to allow finger tightening, no need for screw driver. But I go to most of my locations on a motorcycle, would be a much on a bicycle, unless it's all downhill.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I went with the P4. Similar to what's mentioned above, better camera and I think the P4 build quality and materials are better. I also prefer the P4 controller.

The Mavic form factor is certainly appealing (and perhaps even the future), but I don't mind the P4 in a backpack right now.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl