Anyone have an idea what this is !

Not a nautical type of guy, but it might be a high tech channel marker. The circular area on top may be a NDB (non-directional beacon) for navigation in the channel, maybe? Btw, your intro and closing credits are great. Nice work.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: BigAl07
Looks like a night navigation beacon, the colour of the light determines witch side to stay on depending of up or down stream and they also may have a flash frequency that means other stuff witch I don't know. Would be nice to see if the beacon on the other side has a different colour. Looks like your having fun, good stuff!

Not sure, but it appears to be fixed in place at a point were two different depths meet. As the AC approaches the device is appears to be flying over some rather shallow water, a good place to run aground.

Reactions: Pharm
Looks like a navigational beacon on top and I agree with @MPPilot that it does appear shallow there. I'm a pretty active boater in FL and I've never seen such an elaborate setup for just a navigation beacon. This appears to be a small room. Clearly there is a door, window, and stairs leading to the door. I would not be surprised if this is used as some sort of relay station for other nautical sensors in the area such as tidal buoys, current buoys, etc.

Is this in Scotland? I'm not sure about navigation beacons in the U.K.

I'm guessing an old lighthouse. Looks to have been built maybe in the 1840s. They shut most of those down in 1960. Just a guess, though.
;)

My guess would be a pump house for the wells under the river/lake that supplied potable water to the area back in the day. I have a friend who is an underwater welder and travels all over to service a few that are still operational in the States. He says it's not uncommon to go straight down 300-400' in an eight foot diameter pipe and then fingers branch off of that at the bottom that are six feet in diameter.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik