Anyone had to make a claim with State Farm after crash

Reaction score
Obviously I am having to make a claim with state farm. Crashed my two month old P3A today. From the footage it looks like after I flew between two medal objects straight forward. Then I backed back out on same straight line except it wasn't the same. The bird had veered to the right a cpl feet so it was in line with one of the pieces of equipment. Pretty sure I didn't push the stick In the direction it veered. The whole reason I made sure it would clear it then tried to get the zoom out shot I was trying to effect. But I digress. I have a policy with State Farm so I called and started the claims process. Was just wondering if anyone's already had the pleasure so I might get an idea of wat to expect (or not expect)! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
I had state Farm homeowners insurance years ago and filed a claim after Katrina. It took forever to get nothing. Had to sue to get fair compensate. FYI.

Sent from my SM-N920R7 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Dang. Sorry to hear that. I'm hoping a "cheap" drone wouldn't be a huge fight. By cheap I mean relative to something like your hse.

Yah, my P3P does not fly straight - it always flys at a bit of an angle. I've tried so many things to fix it. I just live with it. I'd love to do those pan back shots of somethings when reversing the forward flight doesn't work as well. Good luck with your claim.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Be careful! Even if you have a $0 deductible you are filing a claim for $1,000 or less. You can buy a P3P or P3A cheap now. You may have higher rates for years after that. I backed up from a parking spot and my front clipped a pole at 2mph. I made a claim with State Farm and even though I switched insurance carriers I have dramatically higher rates for at least 3 years. I could have fixed my own truck out of pocket for about $2,000 and saved thousands over what my insurance increase will amount to over the next few years.
I also just fixed my 16yo daughters car myself out of pocket for about $2,400. This was to avoid a claim. If I made a claim my 16yo would have raised our insurance about $5,000 -$8,000 per year for 3 years by some estimates from my friend who is an independent insurance agent. P.S. I am in Louisiana too and the insurance rates here are as high as giraffe nuts.

I will NEVER claim unless I REALLY need to. Insurance companies stick it to people who make any claims.

Thanks for all the advice. Would really like to hear about an experience that was exactly the same. IE:drone crash, claim for loss with State Farm. Really do appreciate all comments though.

Well, turns out State Farm handled my claim quickly and fairly. I filed it this past Friday and yesterday morning I got a phone call saying that they were mailing my check out for the full coverage amount which is more than enough for a brand new p3a. Nearly enough for a p4. But with the mavic releasing in a few weeks I'm undecided.

Be careful! Even if you have a $0 deductible you are filing a claim for $1,000 or less. You can buy a P3P or P3A cheap now. You may have higher rates for years after that. I backed up from a parking spot and my front clipped a pole at 2mph. I made a claim with State Farm and even though I switched insurance carriers I have dramatically higher rates for at least 3 years. I could have fixed my own truck out of pocket for about $2,000 and saved thousands over what my insurance increase will amount to over the next few years.
I also just fixed my 16yo daughters car myself out of pocket for about $2,400. This was to avoid a claim. If I made a claim my 16yo would have raised our insurance about $5,000 -$8,000 per year for 3 years by some estimates from my friend who is an independent insurance agent. P.S. I am in Louisiana too and the insurance rates here are as high as giraffe nuts.

I will NEVER claim unless I REALLY need to. Insurance companies stick it to people who make any claims.

Ditto the above. SF dropped us after the second claim on snow damage. First was when the house was new, and someone stole the water heater first night back from a football game. Likely for the copper and probably a construction person who knew the layout too according to the cop.

New water heater cost $1,134.56 installed. Deductible was $1,000 and SF paid the $134.56. Odd part was the premium went up exactly the $134.56 that they paid the next round (Coincidence? I think not!) and remained their for a decade or two until the freak snow matter and subsequent drop with a tie-in between garage and house where the snow/water went under the metal flashing and destroyed the wood beneath.

Ditto the above. SF dropped us after the second claim on snow damage. First was when the house was new, and someone stole the water heater first night back from a football game. Likely for the copper and probably a construction person who knew the layout too according to the cop.

New water heater cost $1,134.56 installed. Deductible was $1,000 and SF paid the $134.56. Odd part was the premium went up exactly the $134.56 that they paid the next round (Coincidence? I think not!) and remained their for a decade or two until the freak snow matter and subsequent drop with a tie-in between garage and house where the snow/water went under the metal flashing and destroyed the wood beneath.
That sh!t makes my blood boil. That should be illegal for them to do. I have an elderly grandmother who was dropped by multiple insurance companies. Her pipes froze and burst one winter and they just dropped her! What do we have insurance for? Every time I see some cheeky, stupid insurance commercial I get pissed. These companies exist and put on this funny image, or they make it "appear" that they got your back in the worst of times yet they can just drop you or penalize you for making a claim. Then some genius comes up with more "products" like accident forgiveness which is a double azz reaming because now you are PAYING for forgiveness in case you have an accident!?!?! Isn't that what insurance is for in the first place? Thanks for ramping me up. hahahaha

Reactions: DennyBoBenny
State Farm cancelled us for too many claims. We filed ONE claim. A year later I called to ask my agent if something was covered. He wasn't sure and said he'd check. A few hours later, a higher up called and said it wasn't covered. I thanked him for the info. A short time later we were cancelled because my agent submitted it as a claim when all I did was ask a question. SF didn't want to discuss the error. I no longer trust SF.

Get the Mavic. It is a way better craft and only $999.00

I have never seen one in person. BUT:

1) The same company DJI makes it.
2) They describe it as the same 4K video
3) 1080p vs. 720 streaming back to you
4) 4.3 vs. 3 mile range
5) 40mph for up to 27 minutes
6) Fly by phone over WiFi with no remote.
7) Folds down for easy transport to avoid damage.
8) They (probably) improved the vision positioning and GPS, etc.

JonEQuest, some of those items are not accurate. If interested, you can view the actual Mavic specs here.

I see that the flight time is probably not going to be 27 minutes 90% of the time. The main things I like about it that I forgot to mention is the goggles that will come out soon and of course further range with 1080p video feed. I bet the goggles won't work with the Phantoms.

Thank y'all for the replies. Tough decision. Just don't understand why it cost less than a p4 if in fact it's superior. And that's taking into account that the p4 price has dropped considerably and still holds a higher price point

My son had damage due to high winds from a close tornado. Roof was missing 10 shingles, State Farm paid for new roof. Had a shed ready to fall down, they paid for a new shed. Old riding mower was in shed, they paid him for a new one. This was 6 years ago and his rates never went up. He got around $20,000 total from State Farm. He fixed the roof himself so he made out pretty good. Depends on your agent and who appraises damage.

You believe it's better than p4? Care to elaborate?

Not sure that it is better than the P4 after watching this video, it is probably more portable, however the video quality may not be as crisp as the P4 or P3, check out this thread: Mavic Release Discussion

Here's the link to the video:

Reactions: acherman

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20